[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just finished the first book. It was beautifully written

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Complete-bons.jpg (183KB, 818x347px) Image search: [Google]
Complete-bons.jpg
183KB, 818x347px
So I just finished the first book. It was beautifully written and everything I had hoped for when seeing discussions of it on here but I was wondering how much is up to interpretation/ deeper meaning with some of the text. Did any of you go back and read it another time or look up the old words/ made up words spoken through out? One thing I have to criticize about is how the plot unfolded. It just seemed like one thing happened right after the next with very little focus. Was that intentional in making it seem like an almost biblical journey of seeming randomness but will undoubtedly get Severian where he needs to be?
>>
>>8587959
>look up the old words/ made up words
>not learning latin and greek before mounting the Wolfe
>>
>>8588053

You serious?
>>
>>8588596
No he's memeing like anyone who advocates learning Latin or Koine Greek
>>
Does no one want to discuss this masterpiece? Im sure it has been talked about to death on here but once more can't hurt
>>
>>8588904
I feel for your disappointment. Sonetimes a thread's success is just a matter of the time of day.
>>
>tfw you'll never get a poster of the SotT cover
>>
>>8588915

>you will never have the signed limited books

god dammit there like a million daollars tittes
>>
Knowing at least basic Aquinas can really help understanding what he was doing.
It's mostly about how God ordained and runs the world, or rather, that's the philosophy behind it. Every time Severian is discussing something, you can most often find the section front Aquinas which he is paraphrasing.
>>
>>8588971
Was the Pancreator supposed to be the ultra-future vision of God?
>>
>>8588978
No, the Pancreator is God the Father, identical in every way to the orthodox Catholic view of God.
The Increate is the Holy Ghost.
>>
>>8588984
Ah, that actually makes sense now considering the setting
>>
>>8588984
The different names are not referring to Trinity. The Pancreator and the Increte are both described as having created the universe.
>>
>>8589035
Yes, because God created the universe and both Father and Spirit are God.
His thomist philosophy is incredibly clear if you have read both.
>>
>>8589038
I'm mildly concerned that I only now realised that "Thomism" refers to Thomas Aquinas' first name.
>>
>>8589077
>Thomism
Aquninetics sounds cooler.
>>
>>8588904
>So I just finished the first book.
doesn't really allow much discussion.
>>
>>8589077
>>8589114
this is what I consider fun.
>>
>>8589114
>Not Aquinastics
pfff.
>>
>>8587959
I read an essay by Wolfe where he somewhat indignantly claims none of the words are made up, but "naviscaput", really? That one always bugged me.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.