[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lit's Opinion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: ajdkl;fhuoeadfa.jpg (1MB, 2267x1588px) Image search: [Google]
ajdkl;fhuoeadfa.jpg
1MB, 2267x1588px
I recently read "The Book" by Alan Watts and thought it was neat. Without involving politics about the fanatics of his that exist, what is your opinion of Watts
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 736x1308px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 736x1308px
>>8587880
He was a cucker of men
>>
>>8587892
id sleep with her
>>
>>8587880
I think he's a great entertainer, but his ideas could be dangerous to sensitive minds. He might instigate babby's first existential crisis, which could be positive or negative depending on your perspective.
>>
File: image.jpg (353KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
353KB, 1080x1920px
>>8587893
She's 15 you pedo fuck
>>
>>8587892
please elaborate, lmao
>>
>>8587892
id snuggle her
>>
He was a drug-addled pseud and indistinguishable from the other drug addled pseuds of his era: RAW, McKenna, Dass, etc. They're all the same bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 500x667px
>>8587900
Just read his bio, the man was a sex fiend.
>>
>>8587904
Unless I am mistaken Watts wasn't on the LSD utopia train with the unmentionables despite disclosing a couple personal experiences of his. I am likely not as informed as you must be to make a claim like that however and I don't want to be apologist so please point me in the direction where I can see him being as "pseudo" as someone like Mckenna
>>
>>8587880
Dude is legit. Sits at the second highest level of my esteem alongside the likes of Robert Anton Wilson and Grant Morrison and Erich Fromm.

Take from that what you will.
>>
>>8587896
I certainly took the approach you describe when I read my only book of his: entertainment.
>>
>>8587907
you right
I don't mind that necessarily
>>
>>8587922
How much of his merit would you credit to the theological themes he mentions? I really enjoyed his interpretations of Asian philosophy and theology in general. It made spiritualism seem digestible even though I'm probably no more enlightened for having read it
>>
>>8587948
Highly. Like the other two people I mentioned he has a few beliefs that wander outside the spectrum of believability to someone whose fundamentally a materialist like myself, but his outlook and theology, as you put it, as a whole is wonderful and true. Since it's at heart nothing more than a way of looking at things, and it's a supremely comforting and useful way of doing so.
>>
>>8587948
>>8587979
To follow up on that, I recommend you check out Prometheus Rising, The Art of Loving, and The Invisibles if you liked The Book.
>>
>>8587985
Awesome, comforting is precisely what I thought about it as well. As for the believeability, I was able to prevent myself from being overly critical because Alan seemed all too willing to challenge the question of authenticity himself. Everything with a grain of salt. I will look into those recommendations, thank you
>>
>>8587909
just look at this thread. dumbing down "eastern spirituality" (dumb fucking phrase to start out with) is peak pseud.
>>
There are different phases of his work that are of different worth.

His Episcopal phase is fascinating and well-told. Rather light on doctrine but mainly just really great anecdotes. Enjoyable to listen to.

His Buddhist phase is pretty great but it's important to understand that his brand or understanding of Buddhism is pretty unique. He was rejected by the traditional Buddhist tradition for being all "Zen flesh, no bones". I prefer authentic Buddhism to his but the insights he offered during this time on the practice and history are essential.

His LSD/hippie phase is worthless, really. He wrote a few good books during this time but most of his stuff in this area is fucking retarded and recycled hippie shit.

His later Taoist phase is half and half. Sometimes he's breaking some interesting ground, the other time he's trying really hard to be a sage.

All of his comparative theology lectures are amazing, though. He really hits his stride when comparing different aspects of different religions.
>>
>>8590018
So what of his would you say is worth reading?
>>
>>8590018
Having read a dozen or so of his books, this is a pretty good summary.
>>
>>8587899
TYFTT?
>>
File: image.jpg (649KB, 1328x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
649KB, 1328x2048px
>>8590620
Wat
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.