[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this regarded so highly? Its the edgiest high schooler

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 7c624d5f21.jpg (38KB, 296x475px) Image search: [Google]
7c624d5f21.jpg
38KB, 296x475px
Why is this regarded so highly? Its the edgiest high schooler tier book I can think of.
>>
You completely missed the point.
>>
>>8586889

One silver lining is that it's not to be taken at face value
>>
>>8586898
Yeah yeah, hurr durr, you're too dumb to understand it.

Wrote a paper on it and got a near perfect score. Ths fact still stands whatever little meaningful things it has to say it's clouded by an edgy overtone that ruins alot of it.
>>
File: URGHGAAUGH.png (107KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
URGHGAAUGH.png
107KB, 500x502px
>>8586889
>To care only for well-being seems to me positively ill-bred. Whether it's good or bad, it is sometimes very pleasant, too, to smash things.
>>
File: 1475423511367.jpg (100KB, 960x960px)
1475423511367.jpg
100KB, 960x960px
>>8586917
>>
>>8586889
that book is hard as fuck to read.
>>
>>8586889

>He doesn't realise that notes is a cringe comedy

If Dusty was alive today he'd be writing for The Office.
>>
>>8586907
This is the funniest post of the day. Really good stuff. 9.9/10
>>
itt: actual retards
>>
Really liked it. Thought it was a great examination about the perception vs reality of "Self"
>>
>>8586889
Dostoevsky is garbage. Please review Borges' story The Other.

"The great Russian writer," he affirmed
sententiously, "has penetrated more deeply
than any other man into the labyrinths of the
Slavic soul."
I took that rhetorical pronouncement as
evidence that he had grown calmer.
I asked him what other works by Dostoievsky
he had read.
He ticked off two or three, among them The
Double.
I asked him whether he could tell the
difference between the characters when he
read, as one could with Joseph Conrad, and
whether he planned to read on through
Dostoievsky's entire corpus.
"The truth is, I don't,"
>>
>>8586889
I like it because I may as well be the underground man.
>>
>>8588559
Actually "The Gambler" is worth reading.
>>
>>8588572
>I like it because I may as well be the underground man.
this. the narrator is a perfect representation of the average 4chan poster and if you didn't like the story, as in, you couldn't relate to the main character, you seriously don't belong here. it helps that it's bleak as fuck and doesn't pull any punches of optimistic outlook. that ending makes me want to kill myself
>>
>>8588559
>Dostoevsky is garbage.
What about the Brothers K?
>>
>>8588559
>Dostoevsky is garbage
confirmed for never reading his books, but this is /lit/, should I expect any less?
>>
Like the average 4chan user I am a bit of a social outcast, so when I heard about this book I assumed it would be a brilliant exploration of this condition and the depression that comes with it. However, when I actually read it I just got pissed off by the underground man - people actually treated him fairly but he was a rude and obnoxious prick, and spent all his time in wallowing in self-pity about how people don't like him just because he's a rude and obnoxious prick. Couldn't really relate to the character at all. Really enjoyed The Brothers K, but was disappointed by Notes.
>>
>>8586898
ant the point is...?
>>
>>8589142
Geez, i mean: "and the point is...?"
>>
>>8586907
Great, your teacher is either depressed or he doesn't get it either.

You have to have lived philosophy before you can meaningfully pass off a classic philosophical text like this. Otherwise, you're basically writing history fanfics with no understanding of the significance of the piece.

"Yea crystal palace, enlightenment ideals etc." those are the ideals that have shaped the cultures of all of the modern western nations and are deeply embedded in each. Unless you're a Stirner fag, there's no way in hell you've got an understanding of the amount of assumptions you make daily based on enlightenment thought, and the more you notice, the deeper the character gets, the more relatable he becomes, and your appreciation of the book grows.

Read it again after wagecucking for a year or two.
>>
>>8586889
Read Brothers Karamazov. it's just better. I don't think Dostoevsky thought notes was his best work.
>>
>>8589213
>>8589132
>>8588622
>>8588572
>Implying I wouldn't like to wallow in self pity like the underground man

Its not that I can't resonate with him, its that I feel like his viewpoints are heavily tainted by over indulgence in self pity.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.