[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rise with the Russians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: tsgqo.jpg (715KB, 1228x2710px) Image search: [Google]
tsgqo.jpg
715KB, 1228x2710px
Memes aside, I want you to answer in full honesty: Why does this board recommend starting with the greeks while there is a much better option?
The Russian and soviet literature is far more relevant to modern times and has much better prose, and are more /lit/ in generall over the old boring Greek stories. I have been browsing this place for a while and noticed that people discuss Russian works deeper and more often than they talk about the Greeks.
Pic is the only chart I could find online. It lacks some important stuff, but if upgraded, can serve as a much better introduction to our board.
>>
>>8586877
The Graeci are a better introduction to philosophia and litteratura than the Russici since more Occidental litteratura references the Greci than the Russi. Moreover the Russici auctores are not so directly philosophic than the Greci are
>>
It is a troll chart. Though it can be fixed.
1) Remove Bakunin (philosophy, not literature), remove elders of Zion, remove half of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy (too much of them even if they are great). Remove Brezhnev, Suvorov, Putin and Gluhovsky (can leave Rand for giggles though)
2) Add Harms, Ilf&Petrov, Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog, something of Strugatsky brothers (not Roadside Picnic though, it's overrated due to Stalker hype), maybe something else for soviets
3) Add Pelevin (Omon Ra and maybe something else), something of Sorokin. There aren't any translations of Masodov of Gorchev, as far as I know, but they may be added as well.
4) Add something to make the chart more interesting: Andreev's "Roza Mira", Dugin, Aleshkovskiy probably.
>>
>>8586877
if you are gonna recommend a book by Solzhenitsyn then the Gulag archipelago is way better, more influential and overall a much more important book.
>>
Remove Ayn Rand
>>
>>8587044
>better
subject/debatable
>influential/"important"
lol no, One Day BTFOs any of other solzhenitsyn's works in that regard.
>>
>>8587055
Ayn Rand is actually a good point. I dream of a "Soviet Union in literature" book list, that'd follow from before the revolution (say, Gorky's Childhood) through the initial post-revolution optimism (Ilf and Petrov) mixed with hatred (Rand, Zamyatin) through the Stalin repressions (Solzhenitsyn), war, hopelessness of the 60s (Yerofeev), disillusionment of 80s (earliest Pelevin) to the void of the 90s, and everything that surrounded this history.
>>
>>8586877
I'd say start with Shakespeare, get going with Goethe, begin with the Brits, or advance with the Americans are good options over start with the Greeks.

Jump in with the japs might be a viable choice for some. Mishima or Murakami are such accessible and fun writers, that they can convert otherwise non- readers into avid readers. Murakami especially despite his flaws and meme status is tremendously fun to read and has his fair share of flashes of brilliance.
>>
>>8587082
Mishima isn't exactly "accessible". He is for us, being at 4chan, but for a regular reader he might be a little bit too bizzare.
>>
>>8586877
Does anyone know the reasoning is behind that Suvorov book on Stalin?
>>
>>8587067
The Gulag Archipelago is the most important book written in the 20th century, its what destroyed communism. Its objectively the best book on all accounts you fucking pleb
>>
>No Dead Souls.
>No Oblomov.
>No Life and Fate.
>>
>>8586877
>why does /lit/ recommend starting with the Greeks
it's a meme from Ulysses. people spout it to imply they've read it when in reality they haven't read past the first few chapters.
>>
>>8588934
>no Anna Karenina
>>
>>8588930
what about cancer ward?
Recently bought it in a sale.
>>
>>8586877
>no Yawning Heights
Well at least Erofeev is included.
>>
>>8586877
>I have been browsing this place for a while and noticed that people discuss Russian works deeper and more often than they talk about the Greeks.
This is only true because the Greeks don't get discussed at all safe for chart-posting. Except for Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov Russian literature isn't talked about here. The discussions on this board are basically 95% anglo works, 3% South American and 2% Dostoyevsky.
>>
Is 2033 actually any good? I enjoyed the games well enough but for some I have some inexplicable "thing" against it.
>>
>>8589604
It's somewhat decent for genre fiction, but that's it. It's not literature.
>>
>>8587067

"One Day" is more influential/"important" when discussing literature, and "Gulag" more influential/important when discussing the geopolitical history of the latter half of the 20th Century.

Each is important in its own sphere, but those spheres are different spheres with only a small amount of overlap.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.