[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which American State has made the greatest literary contributions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1475559391769.png (32KB, 2006x1258px) Image search: [Google]
1475559391769.png
32KB, 2006x1258px
Which American State has made the greatest literary contributions?
>>
America has no literature. It has popular drivel.
>>
Nu Yawk
>>
Massachusetts
>>
>>8584361
>America
>literary contributions

seems fair enough actually i dont have a problem with this
>>
Wisconsin, it's where the paper comes from.
>>
Poe counts as Virginian
>>
Competitors
-Massachusetts
-New York
-California
-Texas
>>
>>8584424
I'm from Texas and just wondering why you think this. I don't know many Texan writers that are very lit.
>>
>>8584424
What the fuck, California has writers?
>>
New England and the South have the strongest literary cultures
>>
File: rothko pepe.png (142KB, 304x400px) Image search: [Google]
rothko pepe.png
142KB, 304x400px
>mfw I'm a Mississippian
>mfw we have claim to arguably the greatest American writer
Finally, a thread where I am immune to bullying because of my state.
>>
>>8584450
Steinbeck and uh uh uh uh
Well Pynchon did smoke a lot of dope there.
>>
>>8584622
>Alabama
we're better than MS at everything except authors. Man, Alabama hasn't had many good authors. At least we have the best southern scientists/intellectuals so we got NASA and Google and better universities than you.
>>
>>8584659
>>8584450
And my husbandfu Robinson Jeffers
>>
File: FukkenSaved.png (2KB, 210x161px) Image search: [Google]
FukkenSaved.png
2KB, 210x161px
>>8584622
>rothko pepe

kek, thank you
>>
i think NY is the only answer...if it has to be a state(if region, New England or more generously, the North East) I wanted to give a cheeky NJ response but we have like two
>>
Mississippi
>>
has to be New York just for Melville and Whitman alone
>>
>be South Carolinian
>have no state literature
>>
nebraska
>>
>>8584437
Gene Roddenberry was from Texas, so if we're counting screenwriting (I know we're not) we get a few of the better Star Trek episodes.

O. Henry is from Austin.

Sandra Cisneros is based in San Antonio (important for Chicano lit).

That's all we got. Nobody really gives a shit about Cisneros either, just know her from a few short stories I read in high school. She is pretty good though.
>>
new jersey
>>
>>8585094
North Carolina is best Carolina
>>
Massachusetts because Poe is from there, NY because Whitman is from there.

Those are the two most influential American writers worldwide.

In France even Poe's poetry (which isnt so highly regarded in the USA) was hugely influential, and through France, in the rest of the Romance speaking world which used to be French bilingual instead of English bilingual until the late XXth century.

"Complementing Poe’s erratic reputation among English and American critics is the more stable, and generally more elevated opinion of critics elsewhere in the world, particularly in France. Following the extensive translations and commentaries of Charles Baudelaire in the 1850s, Poe’s works were received with a peculiar esteem by French writers, most profoundly those associated with the late nineteenth-century movement of Symbolism, who admired Poe’s transcendent aspirations as a poet; the twentieth-century movement of Surrealism, which valued Poe’s bizarre and apparently unruled imagination; and such figures as Paul Valery, who found in Poe’s theories and thought an ideal of supreme rationalism. In other countries, Poe’s works have enjoyed a similar regard, and numerous studies have been written tracing the influence of the American author on the international literary scene, especially in Russia, Japan, Scandinavia, and Latin America"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poets/detail/edgar-allan-poe
>>
>>8585874
>Those are the two most influential American writers worldwide.
But the most influential author in America is Mark Twain and America is the only country that matters to Americans.
>>
>>8585976
Whitman is infinitely more influential to American writers, in prose or in poetry, than Twain ever was.

Seriously you're talking about the dude who basically invented free verse poetry. How many Americans write in free verse vs. how many Americans write racist YA?
>>
>>8585998
How many people write poetry anymore, especially influential poetry? Twain wrote in simple, colloquial prose that informed 20th century modernism and I would argue his outlook on American democracy still persists.
>>
File: Smug Stephen.jpg (32KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Stephen.jpg
32KB, 768x432px
>No Maine

Fucking plebs.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.