[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will this make for comfy late fall/winter reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_93eXgNUp.jpg (18KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
4L_93eXgNUp.jpg
18KB, 220x329px
Will this make for comfy late fall/winter reading?
>>
>>8584120
Le (((postmodern))) trash man author
>>
>>8584120
no. read the russians. if you want something complex and spicy, read Petersburg.
>>
>>8584120
Absolutely
>>
>>8584120
Yeah
>>
>>8584120
Definitely, ignore the memers
>>
>>8584129
how many levels of bait is this?
>>
>>8584171
What? No, don't ignore the memers who tell you to read it, those are good memers. Ignore that guy.
(that is, no, ignore the part of that guy that tells you to ignore the memers who... you know)
>>
>>8584178
5i
>>
i didnt like V. should i wait to try more pynchon after i reread ulysses or should i just try one of his longer novels to see if they'll do it for me? is he really worth stressing over? i continually hear V. touted as his best work, but it seemed like a bit of a hodgepodge. is it going to be like a pollock painting that doesnt have any revelatory payout if i spend my time with GR or MD?
>>
>>8584178
>Pynchon isn't a postmodern cuck
>>
>>8584204
Many people don't like V but are fans of GR. I'm ambivalent about V being his best but I think it's more of a local meme
>>
>>8584228
i'm just gunshy with pynchon after reading V., especially with reading the recognitions right after and being blown away by the interconnectivity i felt. i guess i'm just conventional in the sense that i need everything to come together as a whole, rather than enjoying a ride while i'm on it. i feel like pynch is a ride kinda guy. lately i've been delving into sterne and rabelais to try to appreciate humor in lit a bit more, and to break out of the need for linearity. maybe that'll help. I figure though, that if after i read Joyce again, I can't bring myself through pynchon, i won't ever.
>>
>>8584204
B-b-but Benny and Stencil's life paths converge in a V!
>>
>>8584255
No, you just like the connectivity being spelled out for you in the book. Pynchon doesn't spell it out. It takes a second read just to grasp the interconnections of a Pynchon novel. Reread V. but keep the idea of a "V" ever present while you read.
>>
Are there any other authors you memers know of that have an engineering background?

I enjoy pynchons talks on entropy calculus control systems chemistry etc etc
>>
>>8584256
he must be for weird math nerds, i hear he's big on that shit. i guess i'm too much of a romantic simpleton. i should know my limitations.
>>
>>8584264
so, you're saying i have to read a book I fucking hated a second time just to possibly enjoy it? man fuck that. i'd rather read FW with a microscope I'm sure pynchon is great for certain people, but that just sounds like a shit load of work for very little payback. payback i might not even get!
>>
>>8584204
Pynchon isn't really an autor who stimulates you a lot. He sometimes even feel like a guy who is separated from "passion" into something, like it's a mechanical thing, idk how to explain. But he creates good stories based on certain historical backgrounds with a lot of details, has a good prose, and is funny at times. That's it.
>>
>>8584294
well i'm an emotional little bitch, which is why gaddis really appealed to me. differnt strokes!
>>
>>8584294
I don't know about this. I got a lot of emotional impact from Gravity's Rainbow. I don't think he's as cold and nihilistic as folk make him out to be.
>>
>>8584304
I too got it, but only one time, the part where Pokler gives the wedding ring to the woman in Dora
>>
>>8584204
I don't understand how people think V. is a stronger work than Gravity's Rainbow or Mason & Dixon unless they just haven't read either. And Gravity's Rainbow is better than Mason & Dixon. They're all good novels, but V. doesn't even compare. I read Gravity's Rainbow 2 years ago and I'll be reading a recent philosophy paper or dissertations on technology that were written recently and constantly find myself thinking "That scene in Gravity's Rainbow reminded me so much of this." It's an oddly revelatory and unique work and the prose is better than both works.

The first time I tried to read V., I got halfway through and lost interest and went for GR (I had read Crying of Lot 49) and I didn't find it difficult as much as I did demanding. I didn't have to go online to look up a reference as often as I thought, and even less sent to the dictionary to look a word up. Just pay attention and you'll enjoy it.
>>
isnt pynchon the one who said why do things have to be easy to understand? he just seems like a puzzle writer, and maybe its a fault of my eductashum or my will, but i kinda like books that don't rely so heavily on a gimmick like that to get a sense of closure. maybe i just need to get high again like i did with ulysses. i feel like he'd be great to read on some mids pot, nothing too strong. i just take it into my head that if i'm not enjoying something that others obviously take great pleasure in, i'm fucking missing out due to some fault of my own.
>>
>>8584338
I prefer V. over M&D. M&D second half gets tedious and there's too much wacky stuff for me to be able to take it seriously. It has some of the most beautiful passages Pynchon has written, though.
>>
>>8584338
well, i've read about fifty or so pages of GR, and it did seem clearer in a way than V., maybe because he didn't confine himself so much? i guess i'll have to suck it up eventually and just push my way through it. V. just really left me feeling pissed off.
>>
>>8584319
A lot of the Roger/Jessica stuff got me really emotional, hoping things would work out for them, but Pokler didn't do anything for me. Weird man.
>>
>>8584357
You sound like a fag. How can a fake story about people that never existed get you emotional? Jesus Christ do you need a tampon?
>>
>>8584357
What really got me was the last scene where Roger appears. It's kind of silly but it felt very nostalgic to me, like he (and the whole Counterforce) accepted that they can't really overthrow "Them" and just dedicates to little and ultimately meaningless acts of sabotage.
>>
>>8584120
Yes.

This is the fall, Proust in the spring.

Maximum comfy
>>
>>8584256
>>8584264
That's pointless, first-book formalism bullshit. You read it in this day and V is secondary in V., perhaps not just because GR showed where it was going

>>8584265
Boris Vian I think was an engineer, but you'll probably find less of it in his writing than in that of non-tech writers

>>8584294
>>8584338
So much wrong ITT, Pynch is a real human bean, he's a fucking hippie, come on
>>
>>8584319
what about when the loli killed herself
>>
>>8584120
Read it alongside the wiki

The internet is your friend
>>
>>8584178
1. le
2. ((( )))
3. postmodern
4. trash man
5. author
>>
Where the hell do I find Pynchon? All the stores and libraries have is Vineland, Vice and Edge.
>>
>>8584984
>Where the hell do I find Pynchon?
nice try
>>
>>8584995
>>8584984

lol upper easy side, ny
>>
>>8585002
fill in the blanks
>snitches get ________
>>
Mason & Dixon is maximum comfy. Just read that run-on opening sentence for proof of that.

>Snow-Balls have flown their Arcs, starr'd the Sides of Outbuildings, as of Cousins, carried Hats away into the brisk Wind off Delaware,-- the Sleds are brought in and their Runners carefully dried and greased, shoes deposited in the back Hall, a stocking'd-foot Descent made upon the great Kitchen, in a purposeful Dither since Morning, punctuated by the ringing Lids of Boilers and Stewing-Pots, fragrant with Pie-Spices, peel'd Fruits, Suet, heated Sugar,-- the Children, having all upon the Fly, among rhythmic slaps of Batter and Spoon, coax'd and stolen what they might, proceed, as upon each afternoon all this snowy December, to a comfortable Room at the rear of the House, years since given over to their carefree Assaults.
>>
File: dfw happy.png (155KB, 301x313px) Image search: [Google]
dfw happy.png
155KB, 301x313px
>>8585015
>>
>>8585015

That is exactly why I made the thread. I can only hope the rest of the book is that /comfy/
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.