[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dostoyevsky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

can't decide which book to read first - Crime and Punishment or Notes From Underground?
>>
>>8582734
Notes is shorter, start there.
>>
>>8582734
Crimes is one of his most important and well written novels.
Notes is a couple of loosely connected short stories about a delusional edge lord.
You choose.
>>
just as important: which translations are the best?
>>
>>8582734
read them in the order they where published
>>
Do I have to have a form understanding of the Bible before I read crime and punishment?
>>
I'd start with Notes from Underground, then move on to The Idiot.
>>
>>8582885
No. This is maybe the easiest Dostoevsky work to understand
>>
This is the best order, anything else is a meme order:

-Crime and Punishment
-White Nights (short story)
-Notes from Underground
-The Gambler
-The Double
-The Idiot
-Brothers Karamazov

Bonus books after you finish, only if you want:
-Demons
-House of the Dead
>>
You could start with The Gambler. There is a good movie with Gerard Philipe.
>>
>>8582734
Start with Notes. Notes, C&P, and Demons all have similar ideas played out on different levels, first one dude on himself, then one dude on society, then society on society.
>>
>>8582734
C&P is a more humane, dramatic story, but it's longwinded as all hell.

Notes from Underground is basically about your typical 4chan poster before 4chan existed. It's the ultimate /r9k/ neet and all he does is bitch and complain about how rotten society and everything is. It's a psychological portrait of the outsider, the nihilist, the alien on his own home planet.

If you are normal person reading Notes as your intro to Dosto can bias your opinion of him and turn you off to his writings completely. But it's also shorter and more "pick up and go" than C&P.
>>
>>8582985
Demons is one of his less well knowns, but I think it's one of his cooler books. It's more political than the other stuff, and contains a bunch of info dumps on all the fun little radical groups that were active in Russia at the time.

But it doesn't doesn't tug at the heartstrings like BK or C&P.

I could never get into The Idiot and felt like an idiot for trying to read it it seemed so poorly written.
>>
>>8583021
>But it doesn't doesn't tug at the heartstrings like BK or C&P.

>TFW WILL NEVER LIVE IN SIBERIA WITH QT3.14 GF WHO SAVES ME FROM SELF DESTRUCTIVE NIHILISM
>>
>>8582931
I read the Double, Brothers Karamazov, Notes. This post is correct though.
>>
Пo мнe, Дocтoeвcкий пepeoцeнeн. Лyчшe eбaни Typгeнeвa. Boт oн peaльный мacтep. Хoтя вы тyт вce гoвнoeды. Oбoccaл вaшy бopдy.
>>
>>8582931
Fuck off. TBK is his greatest work.

It should be Notes, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, then anything else in whatever order (if you want to read all of his stuff).
>>
>>8586310
fuck off, быдлo c двaчa
>>
white nights
>>
>>8586499
Иди нaхyй, мaнькa.
>>
1. Notes
2. Crime and Punishment
3. Idiot
4. Demons
5. Karamazov

Publication order and works pretty well anyways
>>
>>8586481
I agree anon TBK is really good
>>
>>8586481
I was meant to put TBK after Crime and P.
>>
Ecть нopмaльныe пaцaны? Чтo эти дayны имeют в видy, кoгдa гoвopят TBК?
>>
I read Crime and Punishment and it ripped my heart out.

I'm taking a break from Dosto for now, but I am eager to return.
>>
>>8586481
That's why it is recommended to read his introductory books before getting to TBK. It is last because it's important to read the Idiot, Gambler and Double before getting introduced to the brothers' characters
>>
1/4
>>
>>8589101
Mмммaкcимyм гoвнoeд.
>>
>>8584664
this is my greatest regret in life
>>
>>8588966
>>8589669
Жиp тaк и тeчёт. Haхyя ты вылeз cюдa из cвoeй пapaши?
>>
>>8588966
Бpaтья Кapaмaзoвы
>>
>>8589669
>>8589687
>>8589761
Ha cocaч, быдлo.
>>
>>8589811
извини, pyccкий cлeнг нe пoнимaю. дaвaй peкoмeндoвaть хopoший cлoвapь cлeнг
>>
>>8582740
kys pleb
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.