[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: ndn os.png (412KB, 1238x320px) Image search: [Google]
ndn os.png
412KB, 1238x320px
Do you know any self-help books that are worth reading?
>>
7 Habits was pretty good, but very repetitive and beats a dead horse with examples.

I want to read Carnegie. I also read leadership books occasionally for work.
>>
This Is How by Augusten Burroughs
>>
>>8577316
I always thought 7 Pillars of Wisdom was a self help book based off the title alone.
>>
>>8577316
thus spoke zarathustra
>>
None. Start with the Greeks or fuck off.
>>
Noose tying for dummies

>>>/adv/
>>
the art of worldly wisdom
>>
File: tumblr_ntv3nmqQaR1r3rdh2o1_540.jpg (40KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntv3nmqQaR1r3rdh2o1_540.jpg
40KB, 540x304px
>>8577316
Dianetics lel
>>
EVERY SELF HELP BOOK: Don't be lazy and front load your negative emotions.
>>
>>8577316
The thing about self help is that it is often motivation based, it's a bandaid getting you to do things but only when you're reading the book. If you're not already in the mindset the book tries to put you in, you'll just have it on your shelf as just a thing that makes you question what the fuck you're doing. That's why I only see self help as a way of ingraining the things I should be thinking into my mind. Good books for that are The Greatest Salesman in the World and What To Say When You Talk To Yourself. Again what you think in your day to day and what habits you have is 20x more important than whatever bullshit advice some book gives you if you're not going to drill it into your thought process for life.
>>
Charisma on Command is a youtube channel that's definitely worth checking out if you're serious about this OP. The guy who does the videos looks into the habits of famous people that are generally liked/considered cool and shows how they can be applied to your own life.

https://www.youtube.com/user/charismaoncommand
>>
>>8577316

Get the Harvard Press collection of Ralph Waldo Emerson essays. Go for walks and hikes, be outside.
>>
>>8577316
>>
How to win friends and influence people is pretty obvious but if you actually follow the advice and think a lot about it you are going to be more liked. You'll feel like a fucking phony at first but it's really just common decency.
>>
File: download.jpg (98KB, 600x906px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
98KB, 600x906px
Is this any good?
>>
>>8581160
Bump
>>
>>8578272
Can I just pick this up and read this? Or do I need any background knowledge?
>>
>>8579794
pretty much.

so are the books themselves redundant? or are people just really fucking bad at dealing with emotion?
>>
File: just-neckbeard-things-05.jpg (37KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
just-neckbeard-things-05.jpg
37KB, 640x360px
>>8578272
>>
Let me sum it up for you.

You're special.
>>
>>8581160
>>8581515
It's written by a certified genius.
>>
>>8581915
t. someone who's never read a self-help book

I've seen a variation of "odds are you're average but if you work at it you can stand out from the crowd" in every self-help book I've ever read. It's usually in the introduction.
>>
>>8581915
>>8581891
>>8579794
hate this fucking meme

t. brainlets
>>
>>8582845
>You can be special.

Quite the variation.
>>
There's no "one size fits all."

Best to browse and go with your instincts. Just don't join a cult (ie, go to a seminar).
>>
>>8577316
The Ego and its own
>>
Are there any self-help books that help more with self-awareness rather than self-confidence/charm/etc?
>>
bump
DONT LET THIS THREAD SLIDE
>>
>>8583560
Any meditation guide. I recommend "The Mind Illuminated"
>>
>>8580919
only one worth reading in the thread.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-05-10-56-49.png (974KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-05-10-56-49.png
974KB, 1080x1920px
>>8581160
Yes. Not a self-help book per se but it shows Dilbert man's approach to life. Maybe you'll even adopt some of his systems yourself. (You will.)

Anybody here studying persuasion? Pic related is his girlfriend so there must be something to it.
>>
>>
>>8583207
One calls on you to improve yourself, the other doesn't, so yes, it is quite a variation.
>>
>>8577316
>self-help books
>worth reading
>>
Perhaps you would be interested in «The power of Habit» or «Smarter, Faster, Better» both by Charles Duhigg, or «Thinking, Fast and Slow» by Daniel Kahneman. They're not motivational, but they're quite practical with getting your shit together, and organizing your thoughts and your life. Those help me when I am a bit demotivated, because sometimes your motivation goes away because you have a mess in your head.
>>
>>8586881
That's super special.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.