[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Continue the story/rate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: stick3.jpg (52KB, 1355x505px) Image search: [Google]
stick3.jpg
52KB, 1355x505px
How is this for an opening? where can i go from here?

At night he could sometimes see the lights from a passing tanker or trawler. There wasn’t anything to do here except indulge in time lazily unravelling, as if urging him to do something to fill the vacuum between the distant screeches of drunk women. It’s all rotten to the core. To think that people had once lived here, pitifully evident by the crumbling ruins of farmhouses like crooked teeth jutting out, the acidic soil rejecting fragments of collarbone in disgust. As he watched the bokeh of street lights dancing on the water, through tear stained eyes, Michael came to the realisation he’d left the keys to his flat at home. His stomach sunk like a boat without its bottom.
>>
>>8539532
Start over
>>
>>8539548
What is bad about it? i'm just starting with writing
>>
At night he could sometimes see the lights from a passing tanker or trawler. There wasn’t anything to do here except indulge the lazy unravelling of time, as if urging him to fill the vacuum between the distant screeches of drunk women. It’s all rotten to the core. To think that people had once lived here, pitifully evident by the crumbling ruins of farmhouses, crooked teeth jutting out of the landscape, the acidic soil rejecting fragments of collarbone in disgust. As he watched the bokeh of street lights dancing on the water, through tears, Michael came to the realisation he’d left the keys to his flat at home. His stomach sunk like a boat without its bottom. The Jews must have done this.

I think it works better like this desu. Though it's still not clear what indulging time lazily unraveling has to do with urging him to fill the vaccum. And the crooked teeth beside the collarbone seem like a semi-mixed metaphor. Maybe jawbone would be better instead of collarbone.
>>
>>8539592
>At night he could sometimes see the lights from a passing tanker or trawler. There wasn’t anything to do here except indulge the lazy unravelling of time, as if urging him to fill the vacuum between the distant screeches of drunk women. It’s all rotten to the core. To think that people had once lived here, pitifully evident by the crumbling ruins of farmhouses, crooked teeth jutting out of the landscape, the acidic soil rejecting fragments of collarbone in disgust. As he watched the bokeh of street lights dancing on the water, through tears, Michael came to the realisation he’d left the keys to his flat at home. His stomach sunk like a boat without its bottom. The Jews must have done this.
thanks a fuckton this is way better sounding
>>
>>8539571
Learn to write well in a simpler style before you churn out any more of this barely coherent purple prose

You're overwriting
>>
>>8539647
I'm trying to mimic the style of Ian McEwan thats why its all pretentious overdescriptive bullshit
>>
>>8539650
It's not bad but you should cut down on the lyricism a bit. If you deploy these descriptive, lyrical flourishes too often they lose their potency and it becomes grating. Used sparingly they become a lot more powerful.

Also make sure they don't just sound nice but actually do something to build themes, character, or plot.

If you haven't read him I recommend Don DeLillo for a writer who does this style really well.
>>
>>8539692
thanks this is also super useful, who knew 4chan was intelligent?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.