[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

self-help books discussion thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

Do those really work? My friend recommended me few like: Models, The Book Of Pook and The Natural by Richard Gambler.

I'm curious if anyone has succes stories with these. I only read 2 self help books in my life.

How To Win Friends And Influence People - wasn't realy eye opener, some nice tips though like the one about listening. I focus more on listening now, before I was only waiting for my turn to talk. (I've always had many friends and this book didn't do very much for me. I think it's more helping for a working enviroment with colleagues and coworkers.)

Mini Habits Smaller Habits, Bigger Results - Great one! I learned so much about, and it generally helped me in starting in finishing stuff in my life, which led me to some beautiful memories and wonderfull people.
>>
They have some decent tips. I read the book in the pic. It basically says:

Don't be a prick and greet people by name.
>>
>>8538069
>self help books
Is this really what this board as become? My god we have descended into madness
>>
>>8538286
DFW read tons of them.
>>
>>8538292
and he was a sperg without talent that killed himself
>>
>>8538286
Some of these books have pretty good insights into people. Not high culture, but I'd imagine they'd be useful for a writer.
>>
File: 9781501096143[1].jpg (25KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
9781501096143[1].jpg
25KB, 350x500px
Best I've ever read
>>
>>8538301
exactly
one of us
>>
>>8538069
>Models
That's actually a good book because it tells you things you should know already
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Any one have experience with this book?
>>
>>8538286

>implying Infinite Jest isn't a thinly veiled self-help book
>>
>>8538329
The only self-help book you'll ever need
>>
>>8538069

Self help books in a nutshell:

>Be positive.
>Be proactive.
>Do the shit that needs to be done first.
>Plan ahead.
>>
I want uncultured retards to leave. Sage.
>>
I would say that it's better to just skip the long reading of the book and find the tips online or through skimming. Usually these books give the tips at the beginning of the chapters and then provide anecdotes to justify their inclusion in the book. The length of the novel is in the anecdote.

But as anon said, the book's point is really to remember names, smile when you see people you want to have in your life, and ask about their interests rather than talking about your own. You should be able to figure out how to work with people through experience and a sensitivity towards others' experience - just common sense stuff.
>>
File: 1441347924724.png (222KB, 753x268px) Image search: [Google]
1441347924724.png
222KB, 753x268px
>>8539580
The drugs are a metaphor, Anon
>>
>>8539580
fuck off to r/badliterature
>>
File: Screenshot_8.png (367KB, 528x656px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_8.png
367KB, 528x656px
>>8538069
Part 1 of this was comforting to read when I was trying to rebound from two straight years of failing classes.

At the time, I was totally broken with no idea how to handle school. I wanted to shadow A students to study how they did everything, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. I hoped to find a blog or something by an A student that detailed how they did things. I even dug through the Unabomber's writings, because he got into Harvard at 16 and was a prolific writer. No such luck.

This book is supposedly based off interviews of A students, and it looked like it was as close as I was going to get to what I wanted, so I read it.
>>
File: lost_pls_help.jpg (29KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
lost_pls_help.jpg
29KB, 333x499px
Honestly one of my favorite books of all time. Doesn't really help you accomplish anything other than question who you are, and it's hilarious.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.