[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

screenplay help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: ehh.jpg (45KB, 437x453px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.jpg
45KB, 437x453px
so i'm starting to write a screenplay, and only have a vague idea of how to go about that , i'm currently reading ''screenwriting for dummies'' but i'm looking for some tips from some more experienced writers,

thanks
>>
>>8536575
Why do you want to write a screenplay, what do you have to express?
>>
>>8536582
i just have a good story idea
>>
>>8536586
Why do you believe its good?
>>
>>8536588
I read a lot and I've played around with several ideas in the past and I think this one has the best potential
>>
>>8536749
Which writers in your reading contributed to it?
>>
Speaking from experience? Keep an active notes section in your phone. Whenever you get inspiration for anything—dialogue, subplot, whatever—make a note of it.

Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling are helpful guidelines for beginning writers.

But I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH: Read "Story" by Robert McKee. It's a very, very good book. McKee is a very good teacher.

I learned through trial-and-error. I wrote 90,000 words of a novel just to scrap it and start over. You don't want to go through that.

McKee brilliantly explains important lessons that you'll otherwise learn the hard way. If you're serious about writing a screenplay, buy the fucking book.
>>
>>8536588
oh fuck off nietzsche
>>
>>8536804
This fucking board man

NOT EVERYTHING IS RELATED TO NIETZSCHE
>>
>>8536815
>NOT EVERYTHING IS RELATED TO NIETZSCHE
>"the everythingal property of Nietzsche-relatedness does not exist"

i can live with this
>>
File: on directing film mamet.jpg (5KB, 100x153px) Image search: [Google]
on directing film mamet.jpg
5KB, 100x153px
>>8536575

it's a short, powerful read. His version of directing involves writing the script, so it very much applies to you.
>>
>>8536844

that book is fine but three uses of the knife is better and that yellow-covered complete stanislavski translation is on directing on roids, goes into detail on bit/task/beat/whatever units and more basic into gesture. OD does merge eisenstein into it tho
>>
>>8536801
>Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling
This is good, especially if you like how Pixar makes their shit .

I'd also recommend reading screenplays yourself .
Great writers like Tarantino, Terrance Malick, Aaron Sorkin and Roman Polanski's Chinatown.
>>
File: 1465163065978.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1465163065978.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>8536953
>Chinatown
>>
>>8536575
Saw this
https://youtu.be/lElhyw3WGxo
, then this (your post), thought it seemed relevant.

I say planning and structure are big
heck I have basically stopped writing to relearn planning and structure so I don't re-write everything constantly, but admit that spontaneous insight still is vital as those tend to be small but memorable scenes. Now trying Org Mode to stay organized.

Others say to go with the feel and just keep rewriting till it is gold, and truth is many great works have been done that way.

it seems to be a few different ideas, that oversimplify down to start with details and build up or start with big picture and fill it in on way down. Or some mash up of things. I suggest thinking about your goals and how you think about things then add some randomness to help refine.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.