[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what Frege did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: aaaaaa.jpg (17KB, 314x400px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
17KB, 314x400px
seems quite easy....i don't get why many praise him, anyone could of came up with what he did...he just modified Aristotle's logic
>>
what?
>>
>>8536029
Isn't all analytic philosophy derived from Aristotles logic? I don't know. I'm just saying.
>>
>>8536048
no
>>
dumbass
>>
>>8536029
So why didn't they?
>>
Bitch he practically invented formal logic. He developed a subject that had been largely stagnant since the classical Greeks. Just off yourself already m8
>>
Everyone could have evolved Aristotle's logic for 2000 years too, but they didn't.
>>
>>8536863
>>8536864
>it's a "sholastic logic was the exact same as aristotle's" episode
>>
>>8536873
No, it's a "comparatively the developments to logic between Aristotle and Frege are stagnant when compared to the latter's contribution to the field"

Just
off
yourself
>>
>>8536882
>Just
>off
>yourself
Cringe. I bet you do the clap emoji between every word meme on twitter too.
>>
This post is not a joke

Someone fucking explain formal logic to me

Please, why is it important? I've got three histories of logic on my desk, two textbooks on undergrad symbolic logic, and I have basic familiarity with logic in general, but I just don't understand why analytics are so obsessed with it. I feel like I'm missing some fundamental lynchpin in why it's so central to their worldviews.
>>
>>8536892
Here are some reasons.

When you can translate something into formal logic, it is totally unambiguous and much clearer so you don't make errors in context or inference, etc. You strip away all the incidental details and just have the structure of the thing being argued.

At least the early analytics were convinced that we could somehow translate complex brain-states or language-acts into a formal system. Then we can analyse it by looking at its parts and making our usual, sound inferences, etc. and better appreciate what it is,.

A side-effect is that a formal description is precise enough you can do mathematics with it and feed it into a computer and figure out stuff mechanically. So knowing logic is like knowing when it makes sense to do mathematics, and what constitutes "valid" reasoning. This is probably the most important reason, because it gave us a way to verify that our maths, physics, engineering, etc. was consistent and didn't fall down (to an extent--this is by no means complete).

Undergrad often skirts a lot of the numerous faces of logic and its historical development (I mean the logic-as-mathematics thing didn't really exist until the late 1800s) and esp. doesn't let you appreciate some of the enormous applications it has.
>>
>>8536892
If you want the most general reason why, it can be said that formal logic is the attempt to make precise how we can describe and know things.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.