[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Pale King General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: TPK.jpg (39KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
TPK.jpg
39KB, 321x499px
Thoughts?
Best Chapter(s)?
Better (or worse) than IJ?
>>
Thought it was really cool, especially liked the 'irrelevant' chris fogle chapter. Only wish he had more time to develop the 'boredom/attention' idea
>>
Got it a few days ago, pg 160. Was a bit unsure about the whole fake "I got put on academic probation and went to the IRS" bit from David Wallace's POV. I know it isn't true and I wonder if that bit would of been radically different if he'd lived.

Plus that bit with that guy giving a lecture on civics and always saying how he was being vauge and "it's got something to do with X" exactly how DFW phrases things in the un-cut interview.

> Thoughts?
>>
Love Leonard Styek so far
>>
Should I check this book out after IJ or not

I've heard it's a pretty big disappointment/waste of time
>>
>>8535821
I read Brief Interviews after IJ. One of my fave books of all time now.
>>
Clearly worse than IJ but still worth a read.
>>
>>8535538
Two of the chapters are worth the price of admission alone. The two really long ones. The one at the bar where the dude is like floating in his chair and the the one about the dude and his dad and the subway station incident? It's been several years since I read it but those were quite good.
>>
File: 20160721_202341.jpg (1MB, 1706x3144px) Image search: [Google]
20160721_202341.jpg
1MB, 1706x3144px
>>8535538
The "wastoid" Fogle part was really great.
>>
>>8535538
skip the chapters up you get to the falcon hunting chick that's when the book is actually interesting
>>
>>8536527
>>8535757
Chris Fogle chapter was long, but the payload was borderline orgasmic. No surprise its popular among the 4chinz crowd, either.

The saga of Marcus the Moneylender and Diablo the Left Handed Surrealist had me in hysterics in public.

That being said, the book is horribly incomplete in terms of both plot and theme. It's just kind of a big question mark. A good read for hardcore Wallace fans, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hadn't read all of his other work,
>>
It would've been DFW's first truly great novel.

Chapters? I think the chapters about the really nice kid, Drinion, the guy who wants to watch all 12 TV stations are classic DFW.

And I want more of that 2nd chapter, more of that fragmented, real-as-fuck writing.
>>
>>8536527
smart man, shitty writer
>>
>>8536552
TPK was my first DFW. I only bought it because of "An Unfinished Novel". Thought it was just an interesting idea. I have since read all of his books except Everything & More and loved them. So fuck you.
>>
I think it could have been better than infinite jest if it was ever finished.
I liked the parts with the ghosts
>>
I liked pretty much the entire book, I think the best chapter was the on with lane dean jr. and his girlfriend. I've read most of dfw's fiction and i think out of everything he wrote that that chapter was the most poetic.
>>
>>8535975
Yeah, those are the two best chapters by far.
>>
The book's opening chapter is stunning. Probably the most beautiful thing he ever wrote and has a true "American" feel.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.