[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some good Japanese Lit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: ab27-262nofp.jpg (124KB, 446x582px) Image search: [Google]
ab27-262nofp.jpg
124KB, 446x582px
What's some good Japanese Lit?
>>
shishosetsu
>>
not Murakami
>>
Mishima. Start with "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea"
>>
>>8533854
Yasushi Inoue
Yasunari Kawabata
Matsuo Basho
Fumiko Enchi
Sakutaro Hagiwara
Osamu Dazai
Yukio Mishima
Chika Sagawa
Lady Sarashina
Lady Murasaki
Michitsuna no Haha
Sei Shonagon
Natsume Soseki
Junichiro Tanizaki
Ogai Mori
The Manyoshu
>>
>>8533854
You posted it, loved reading kappa and a fool's life.
Currently reading "Mandarins: Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa" and loving it.
>>
>>8533938
>Murakami

A guilty pleasure
>>
File: Battle_Royale_Japanese.jpg (26KB, 295x475px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_Royale_Japanese.jpg
26KB, 295x475px
Koushun Takami
>>
>>8534006
not necessarily lit but definitely can be fun
>>
>>8533949
seconded
just started the tetrology
its lit senpai
>>
>>8533978
Add Kobo Abe and Kenzaburo Oe. Ryu and Haruki Murakami for that pulpy/grotesque and magical realism fix, respectively.

And there's a ton of lesser known horror/guro or even slice of life books out there worth reading, too. Did you know that "Parasite Eve" was originally a book? So was "Paprika", later made into an anime.
>>
>>8534454
I love Kenzaburo Oe, A personal matter, was nearly perfect, felt like reading 20th century Dostoyevsky
>>
>>8533938
which 1
>>
>>8533854
Weeb here, living in Japan. Basically all the big names are worth your time.

Murakami - Comfy and absorbing. He's not a great writer but he's a great storyteller.

Mishima - My favorite, but is too nationalistic and sentimental for some.

Akutagawa - Very clever. One of the better short story writers ever.

Dazai - Edgelord core, bleakcore.

ETC.

>>8533938
>I say what /lit/ says
Oh, fuck off. Do you have one solitary original thought or whim in your body at all?

>>8533949
I've read Mishima in English and Japanese and I always find it interesting that people tout "Sailor" and it always seems to be the "start here" book. I liked "Sailor" but it's considered a minor work and is barely read in Japan. I wonder why the West is so big on it. Maybe the Oedipal thing.
>>
>>8536015
pleb

you know nothing about japanese /lit/

murakami is universally condemned or ignored by the japanese lit community. he's the japanese dave eggers.
>>
>>8534454
What are some good jp horror short stories?
>>
japanese author power rank:
\
the top 5 are:

soseki
tanizaki
kawabata
oe
akutagawa

and then the second tier-
abe
dazai
endo
mishima
inoue

then you got a bunch of people whose legacies aren't totally clear yet or are just aren't as important as the above few-
ogai
r. murakami
kirino
yoshimoto
enchi
miyamoto

etc. etc.
>>
>>8536043
Ogai and Enchi are at least as important as Inoue.
>>
>>8536045
im betting inoue becomes more prominent as time goes on.
>>
>>8536050
Maybe. He did write a shit ton, there's probably a few more gems to discover in that massive oeuvre.
>>
>>8536023

Okay bro.

But let's say that was completely true and not exaggerated. Who cares?

It's like

>the establishment says he's no good so I say he's no good

What a fucking sheep.
>>
>>8536055
i think there's a good chance inoue gets more studied and focused on and "rediscovered" as a "previously underrated" author kinda shit. in part i think it's helped by his obsession with china, and china-related academia is generally "in" right now, or on the way to becoming in.

and he's a solid author so if he becomes more popular that's fine by me.
>>
>>8536060
you've read a handful of jap authors that are memed and you don't know anything about the actual literary landscape. embarassing tbqhwyf
>>
>>8536066
Can you even read Japanese?
>>
>>8536061
I'd like it to. He's kind of an inspiration, seeing as he didn't start writing until so late in life.
>>
>>8533854
Read the sticky you dip
>>
>>8536066

Why are /lit/ users so fucking pretentious.
>>
>>8536634
>everyone who's not a pleb like i am is pretentious
>>
>>8536717

>Greentexting with faulty grammar
>Not pretentious

You literally fit every criteria you fucking retard. Are you not aware people can sense it from a mile away?
>>
>>8536725
nigga that aint even me you were responding to i just popped in and see you sound like a butthurt pseud
>>
>>8536729

You're not any different from him. I'm also not the other guy.
>>
>>8536042
Yoko Ogawa's Revenge is good.
>>
>>8536735
>>8536729
>>8536725
>>8536717
>>8536634
stop samefagging
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.