[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Run on Sentences!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 518aJh03fdL.jpg (34KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
518aJh03fdL.jpg
34KB, 334x500px
What the fuck is up with this book and its run on sentences?

Its hard enough to follow whats going on with its dull, even pace that doesn't vary depending on whats happening, and sometimes you lose track and not realize someone has died, and no quotation marks which jut makes it more confusing and when the characters don't emote like they are some kind of weird sociopathic characters that don't react like human beings and although I think the language is beautiful it really paints a picture that tugs at my heart strings I mean im sitting on the train reading this and it casts a fierce bout of emotion but its hard to keep up with whats going on or giving a shit.

You know why? Because the run on sentences. They go for fucking entire paragraphs! Pages! How come I can't do that in my essays but this guy is considered a modern genius?! What possible artistic purpose could it serve other than make fall asleep?
>>
So? Just kill yourself and you won't be have to worry about it.
>>
punctuation is a social construct
>>
Run on sentences don't exist.
It's just some shit made up because Americans are retards and can't remember more than 5 words.

As long as a sentence is grammatically correct there is no impetus for your thought to end
>>
Alright, so, I remember reading somewhere (can't find source, right now) that Blood Meridian was actually a side-project for McCarthy and never actually intended for publication. That's a pretty lofty claim, considering that this is supposedly his magnum opus. Which it is.

It's also fair to say that this is one of his weaker bodies of work. Which it is.

How do hold two thoughts at once?

Well, it's the audience, mostly. Compare this bleak, hellish place with the world of Pretty Horses, for instance. Although there are rambling bits in that story, it has a structure which Blood Meridian doesn't gain until the latter half of the book. It sells better, it reads better. Someone unused to McCarthy's style would be better off picking that novel up, before they jump into Blood Meridian - despite, again, Meridian being the Be All End All Hellhole that McCarthy has been taking so long to build. There are still ramblings, run-off sentences, and confusion, but it remains a lot more properly constructed than Meridian's western rampage.

There are a variety of benefits which come from reading Blood Meridian, and it stands on my shelf as one of my favorite novels - one of those I want everyone to read before they die. But it ought to be stressed that this was a book Cormac wrote for himself. He didn't intend for any audience besides himself, I think, and that's both a blessing and a curse for the novel's structure. But reading it from this perspective, I think, is the way to really finish it. Which is what's most important; you don't have to analyze every book, but you should at least finish them.
>>
>>8533272

As for run-ons, well, look at Faulkner. Fuck me if I'm going to sit here and decipher The Sound and The Fury.
>>
>>8532992
Then, I'd say, you don't like the book. There's no right or wrong way to read it. Irl when someone asks you "hey, have you read Blood Meridian?" just tell them what you said in your post. I know that feel when you like something but are kept from fully enjoying it by some flaw or influence. Idk maybe try reading it again in a few months. Or not.

Also, when writing creatively (art) the rules grammar are very loosely applied. It can be a barrier to creativity. I don't see it, but I assume this is how people think. I've read plenty of books where the author either omitted the use of punctuation altogether or used it in their own unique, oh so clever way.
>>
>>8532992
They're usually clauses connected by the word "and." It's a technique he adopted from the KJV Old Testament.
>>
>>8532992
It's just words, mane.
The narrative meant to be long-winded and sprawling because it's good for immersion, saying things as they happen. Read it out loud in a deep narrative tone emphasizing each adjective as though they each unfold a different dimension of the imagery and you should see what I mean. It's good storytelling.
But you should've started with Suttree.
>>
>>8533097
I second this. Rules are things that are better than chaos, but talent can exceed rules. Also you are a f4gg0777.
You may also not have experienced "high art" before. Basically, it takes effort, but the effort is justified because it gives you more than you give to it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.