[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>repetitive and overrated: the book.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

>repetitive and overrated: the book.
>>
>>8532657
>having 0 taste: the reply
>>
>>8532652
I would not assign any worth to McCarthy's works after Blood Meridian.

They are pulp, lacking depth. Easily ignorable.
>>
>>8532748
>They are pulp, lacking depth.
Having a man named Ely saying "There is no God and we are his prophet" is the deepest thing Cormac McCarthy has ever written in his life.
>>
>>8532748
"It's too popular so it must be shit" - you
>>
This book literally has zero pretentiousness. Calling it overrated would be cruel, because you can't "overrate" poetry. You probably think it's repetitive because you expect something "big" to happen in the story, that would be unrealistic. McCarthy tries to avoid suspension of disbelief to make this book a truthful form of art instead of an entertainment.
>>
>>8532662
>Shitty and unoriginal: the comeback
>>
>>8532844
DELETE THIS
>>
>>8532866
>the book has zero pretentiousness
That is only logical since your reply contains all of it.
>>
I have no son of my own, the thread.

The book is good maybe not great but good with or without children of your own but as a dad it's something special. You don't have to be old or a parent to enjoy it but you do have to get off your high horse briefly and use your imagination a bit too.
>>
>>8532652

I personally enjoyed that book a lot, it really hooked me and I was very invested in their journey. The ending was pretty crushing to me.

But of course taste is subjective.
>>
Why is /lit/ defending this book? I thought summer was over by now.
>>
>>8532748
Blood Meridian also sucks
>>
>>8533000
What book does /lit/ approve then?
>>
>>8533000
wtf I hate autumn now.
>>
>>8533000
Americans.
>>
>>8533037
All of YeCarthy's cobtillas are shit.
>>
>>8532848
Nice one.

I think one could draw certain conclusions based on the popularity of The Road vs the popularity of Suttree. One is easy and forgettable - everyone loves it - and the other is less accessible but more rewarding, the better book.

>>8532866
>you cant overrrate poetry
What kind of bullshit statement is that?

>>8533037
Would love to know, even in a sentence, why you think so. Maybe you are a superior literary critic to Bloom.
>>
It's a good entertaining book. It's both frightening and touching. I enjoyed it.

>>8532652
>>8532748
>>8533000
>>8533154
>>8533187
These are the pretentious posts of the thread and can be safely disregarded.
>>
>>8532748

While some of his work may be lacking in substance, I wouldn't necessary write-off all of it as pulp. How are you measuring his worth, exactly? And what qualifies them for pulp?
>>
>>8533262
This is the pleb post of the thread and must be mercilessly mocked
>>
>>8533591
Reminds me of the 'fun is a buzzword' meme back in the day. I read to enjoy myself.

Consider kys.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.