[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are plays worth reading or are they memes? For example Death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: geralt pepe.png (433KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
geralt pepe.png
433KB, 4500x4334px
are plays worth reading or are they memes? For example Death of a Salesman, A Streetcar Named Desire etc.
>>
read a play you've never heard of
>>
Shakespeare, Wilde...
>>
http://www.bmds.bm/files/14/files/productions/arcadia/arcadia-by-tom-stoppard.pdf
>>
Of course they are. Especially the old greek ones, it's not like you could see them in a theatre the way they were meant to bee seen anyway.
>>
You WATCH plays, not read them, dongus.

Only read a script if you're in the production.
>>
Of course they are. You should read the play and watch it. They are two different but complementary text in drama studies. Idiots like >>8530067 are just spouting memes.
>>
>>8530067
I've been reading a lot of scripts lately. It's a lot cheaper than actually going to the movies.
>>
>>8529993
Sometimes. Shakespeare being the most notorious example.
>>8530076
We have piracy now. Get with the times Troy.
>>
>>8530075
2nd for read the play then watch it. Especially Shakespeare.
>>
>>8529993
This really got me thinking. What are some recorded plays that can be found on the Internet (Youtube recommended, but not required) that are worth watching? I have never seen watched a proper play, closest I got to it was probably puppet shows when I was a kid or whatever.
>>
Shakespeare, Beckett, Ionesco, Pinter, (Tennessee) Williams, O'neil.

All worth reading. There are shitloads of others. Those are my favorites.
>>
>>8530565
A lot of Beckett's plays have been filmed. I think they're under "Beckett by Beckett" or something. Some are great.

You can find some decent Shakespeare plays on YouTube
>>
Do you know any """plays""" that are only meant to be read, like that chapter in Ulysses?
>>
>>8530823
Faust by Goethe, Manfred by Byron, Prometheus Unbound by Keats, Exiles by Joyce.

Though I'm sure all of them had in mind a possible performance. I don't think there is such thing as a dramatic text with no possibility of performance. Sure, some might be more difficult than others, but if it's a play then it can be performed.
>>
>>8530858
>Keats

I meant Shelley, my bad. For some reason was thinking of Hyperion.
>>
>>8530565
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wifcyo64n-w
>>
>>8529993
No Exit is literally the only thing you need to read by Sartre.
>>
The plays that are meant to be read and not acted are called "closet drama" so just look up that term and you'll find a lot of examples.
>>
>>8530354
since KATs down does anyone know where to get audiobooks now?
>inb4 audible . com
>>
>>8529993
plays are fucking great. better to see them performed competently than to read them, but
>A Streetcar Named Desire
is hot garbage. don't bother with it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.