[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So the Divine Comedy is NOT Bible canon, correct? Was the book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 206.jpg (94KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
206.jpg
94KB, 260x400px
So the Divine Comedy is NOT Bible canon, correct? Was the book just that good and influencial that people directly apply its settings, characterizations, and analogies/metaphors to the Bible itself? Things like the 9 circles, 7 deadly sins, unbaptised babies going to Hell, and Hell basically being a never-ending flow of sinners and blasphemers. You know, shit like that. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>8529813
It's not canon.
>>
It's a shitty book which you should throw in the thrash to help eradicate religion off the face of the planet.
>>
>>8529813

He didn't pull that stuff out of thin air. Unbaptized babies going to hell was the usual teaching, the 7 deadly sins go back a long way, I don't know about the 9 circles of hell but the idea of there being different levels of hell would make sense since there were different levels of heaven (2 Cor 12:2) and pseudo-Dionysius expanded a lot on these levels of heaven iirc what I heard in a class years ago.
>>
>>8529846
You should eradicate yourself off the face of the planet.
>>
>>8529813
Not Bible cannon. Essentially it is an interesting allegory for the souls travels towards god. Also Dante subtly places people who he generally dislikes at the various stages of Inferno.
>>
What would Jesus say?
>>
>>8529947
Try your best, keep your nose clean and eat fish on Fridays.
>>
>>8529813
It seemed pretty empty when I first strolled through desu, as of 2016 the place is packed I hardly even recognize anyone anymore.

>>8529931
>t. Filippo Argenti

You aren't tricking anyone, burn in hell faggot.
>>
>>8529947
just b urself ;)
>>
>>8529931
>subtly
>>
>>8529846
>insulting dante

yeah yeah mohammed you're right.

OP, off course it's not canon, it wasn't even called "the divine comedy" when it first came out. This book is basically Dante's political view of the medieval italian world and his hopes for the future.
>>
>>8529813
Canon? It's not even apocrypha, though it does incorporate a lot of apocryphal ideas. It's a novel in verse, basically.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.