[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Authors of 4chan/Getting Published Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: images.png (8KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8KB, 218x231px
Are there any successful authors on this board?

I have a good idea for a novel. I figure since it's got a catchy story and can be built into a series it's my only chance at not having a 9-5 wageslave job and potentially being rich one day. Right now I'm at 16,000 words. I figure if I just work on it all I can until I'm finished then I'll just have to edit and get as much feedback as I can.

What are the chances of making money off of a novel after finishing? What are the chances of getting a literary agent? Is there anybody on /lit/ that makes money as an author? Any super successful authors that post here?
>>
hey its me, Thomas Pynchon
>>
>>8526889

I think a few of us will emerge eventually but we're mostly in our early 20's.
>>
>>8526889
Getting a book published is tough. Think about it like going to a city like Nashville or Austin, both absolutely crawling with talented amateur musicians. Most of these musicians are at least good enough for a few dollars at the door, and a good amount of those are on the level of signed/touring bands.

Obviously, the problem goes beyond just money. Its who gives enough of a fuck to listen to all of that music, even if it is all good? Publishers aren't going to be impressed if you're a good writer - there are plenty of good writers - they want your work to either be marketable or groundbreaking, two things that are a lot harder than good.

Good luck OP. This isn't meant to be discouraging, but its a tough industry Think about how many should-be classics sit in bargain bins because nobody bought them.

If you're serious about it, start self-advertising online when you're close to the end of a good draft. Release your best chapter early and get your friends to follow you on Facebook/twitter. If it seems like your book will be easier to sell, that's a significant leg up on your competition.
>>
>>8526931
Thanks for the help. Yea I understand what you're saying. That's why I'm hoping my idea and book can cut it. I think it would be perfect as an animated series and could get popular.
>>
>>8526889
>Are there any successful authors on this board?

If they are smart then they won't tell anyone that they are are from 4chan.
>>
keep your day job and do not, under any circumstances, maintain the illusion of fortune from writing fiction, even if you happen to land a six figure advance. Even this can be lost quickly if you're not marketing savvy. Making enough money to live about the poverty line on writing fiction alone is a privilege reserved for the top 1% of the top 1%. That's my benchmark.
>>
Didn't Tao Lin browse here? I know he's referenced the board somewhere
>>
>>8526997
Yea they can be like the 'celebrities' or 'insiders' that sometimes grace other boards but don't post any identification.

>>8527003
Really? I was under the impression that if you wrote a halfway coherent novel that's complete and edited you could do something with it.
>>
I was just thinking of making the same kind of thread OP, so thanks.
I want to be an author too, but I'm not so much concerned about money as just getting published. Any Anons have experience with that? I always figured of I'm gonna be an author I'm gonna have to hustle on the side. How hard is it to actually get a book on a shelf in a book store?
>>
File: thatshilarious.jpg (17KB, 221x195px) Image search: [Google]
thatshilarious.jpg
17KB, 221x195px
>>8526909
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.