[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greatest reference materials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: AshleyBook[1].jpg (1MB, 1946x826px) Image search: [Google]
AshleyBook[1].jpg
1MB, 1946x826px
Are reference books works of literature?

Sometimes you encounter one so lovingly and carefully compiled as to approach art, I think (pic related).
>>
File: AGRI657[1].jpg (295KB, 733x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AGRI657[1].jpg
295KB, 733x1000px
De re metallica is sort of a 16th century version of this "comprehensive labor of love" concept.

The translation into English was done by, of all people, future US president Herbert Hoover.
(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_re_metallica)

This book is pretty much the sum total of metallurgical knowledge extant in the pre-industrial era.
>>
File: 1_pjqr6EibMsnGA0zy0t6ypQ[1].png (2MB, 2000x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1_pjqr6EibMsnGA0zy0t6ypQ[1].png
2MB, 2000x1169px
The OED is probably the pinnacle of this form. Way beyond being any one person's "labor of love", although several throughout its history have certainly made their contributions to it in that spirit.

I think the existence of the OED makes Modern English a unique landmark in the history of literature. Imagine if there were and equivalent contemporary work for ancient Latin, Greek, or Sanskrit. Imagine how, if it survives, it will color and inform the understanding of scholars of our period a thousand years in the future.
>>
>>8526877

Do you think it will survive the trendy attitudes regarding "prescriptivism" ?
>>
>>8526908
The OED (like all dictionaries I know of) is entirely descriptive, so I don't see any problem. If a word is used in a particular sense in the corpus, eventually that usage will be recorded (and cited) in the reference.

The backlash on "prescriptivism" is just a tendency to correct people who have already misunderstood what a dictionary is.
>>
>>8526922

A black lady on youtube told me that what the dictionary says doesn't matter because it conflicts with popular left wing definitions of the word "racism."

They'll come for you one day anon.
>>
>>8526937
You come to youtube to be annoyed, they aren't the ones coming for you.
>>
>>8526823
>>
>>8526937
>conflicts with popular definitions
>If a word is used in a particular sense in the corpus, eventually that usage will be recorded (and cited) in the reference.

You're fishing, son.
>>
>>8526959
Who is this book meant to be for?

It seems inadvisable for an amateur to take investment advice from a book. Or maybe mutual funds are the kind of thing where it doesn't matter?
>>
>>8526823
You'll probably like Scouting for Boys and Cards as Weapons
>>
Infinite Jest is a pretty good reference guide to suck at suicide.
>>
>>8527302
Well the front cover references The Intelligent Investor, so it probably promotes a fairly conservative approach to long term investing in mutual funds. So yeah, you're not going to lose your ass.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.