[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good lit to get started in reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: george-orwell.jpg (22KB, 362x503px) Image search: [Google]
george-orwell.jpg
22KB, 362x503px
After reading 1984, Animal Farm and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I want to get into reading more books.

Is there anything you guys would recommend me as someone new to literature or just serious MUST READS?

I'm planning on buying hard copies.
>>
>>8525828
I'm in the same boat, I just started Moby Dick and I quite like it. I'd recommend it
>>
check out the /lit/ starter kit

Also:
Paul Auster - New York Trilogy
John Steinbeck - East of Eden
Mark Twain - Huck Finn
Don Delillo - White Noise
Richard Matheson - I am Legend

All great and accessible reads
>>
File: dickmanbaby.jpg (6KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
dickmanbaby.jpg
6KB, 229x220px
>>8525828
Considering your current repository of literature, I have a few suggestions you might enjoy.

>Brave New World, Huxley
>Atlas Shrugged; Fountainhead, Rand
>Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury
>2666, BolaƱo
>Ubik, Dick
>Catch-22, Heller
>The Road; Blood Meridian, McCarthy
> The Silmarillion Tolkin
>Foundation, Asimov
>A Clockwork Orange, Burges

If you're just looking for some fun, light reading, I'd recommend Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It isn't the most complex book, obviously, but it's still quite enjoyable.

I'd also recommend you read Lolita, The Brothers Karamazov, and Don Quixote; they're /lit/ standards, and stuff that everyone should read. Don't bother with Ulysses or Infinite Jest until you're more well read.
>>
Read this: Illusiones Perdu by Balzac
>>
>>8525917
>Rand as second rec for a beginner

What do you want to turn him off from literature?

End yourself
>>
>>8525945
Rand was one of my starting points. Don't get me wrong, her philosophy is completely abhorrent and nonsensical, but you cannot deny that she's quite enjoyable to read. She isn't very difficult either, so I really don't see the problem.
>>
>>8525951
There's no problem (other anon), i actually somewhat dislike your list for being filled with book that everyone has read on /lit/ because the exact same books are recommended for starters again and again. Don't like it too much how streamlined taste develop on here. Doesn't mean that it needs to be obscure stuff, but the very first book one reads are very formative and determine what route one takes through literature, so i think it leads to a more diverse amount of taste and perspectives if paths are different

Thus i recommend:

Gotthelf: The Black Spider
>>
>>8525964
*very first books
>>
File: 1473260294636.jpg (250KB, 1229x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1473260294636.jpg
250KB, 1229x1800px
The best book by Orwell is Homage to Catalonia. In my honest opinion his account of a large-scale real life project to create new values and a new rhythm of life has a much greater impact than any of his fiction.
>>
The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories by Leo Tolstoy, he paints some very vivid romantic scenes and his writing feels very profound. His prose is very accessible as well.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.