[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What 21st century books do you think will be called "classics"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: modern classics.jpg (275KB, 740x1080px) Image search: [Google]
modern classics.jpg
275KB, 740x1080px
What 21st century books do you think will be called "classics" and considered some of the best ever written in a generation or so?
>>
Many of the classics of yesteryear are called classics not because they are particularly better written than their contemporaries but because they speak for the time they are written.

Lolita is expertly written of course but it is remembered as a classic for being part of the sexual liberation of the 60s.

While those might be good books do they really depict the world and its concerns as it is now, are they necessarily going to be remembered?
>>
>>8525277
>the street
>book thug
>life of Apu
>kike gunner

none of these
>>
>>8525313
10/10 meme desu senpai
good spicyness
>>
>>8525277
Hopefully not these four.
>>
>>8525313
Solid critique, you are a scholar. Fag.
>>
None of these, if God grants us mercy.
But 2666 is from what I've read is one of the seminal works of the century.
But I read more contemporary philosophy than fiction so my scope is limited.
>>
>>8525304

But most were written better then their contemporaries. Don't tell me that classically trained scholars and authors are behind the people of today or even, even in terms of expertise of verbal language and prose.
>>
>>8525327
>contemporary philosophy

Sam Harris and Barrack Obama?
>>
>>8525304
>Many of the classics of yesteryear are called classics not because they are particularly better written than their contemporaries but because they speak for the time they are written.

No, you dolt. It's exactly the opposite.
>>
>>8525332
Objectively speaking, people get better at pretty much every discipline over time.
We are better drivers, better boxers, better runners, better singers, better writers, better everything.
>>
>>8525334
MacIntyre, Odenberg, Feser desu
>>
>>8525337
I hope you prove yourself better at not producing any offspring than any of your ancestors.
>>
>>8525339
So christian apologists and anti-science authors?
>>
>>8525460
Only Feser wrote some apologetics and one 1 book.
What the heck is "anti science"?
>>
murakami t.b.h.
>>
>all these people shitting on McCarthy and saying not every single one of his novels will be remembered
smhtbh
>>
>>8525304
>Many of the classics of yesteryear are called classics not because they are particularly better written than their contemporaries but because they speak for the time they are written.
>Lolita is expertly written of course but it is remembered as a classic for being part of the sexual liberation of the 60s.
Ouch, I've gotten much stupider from reading this. Thanks a lot, jerk! I gotto go take nootropics now.
>>
The Glass Bead Game
>>
Seibo There Below - Krasznahorkai
The Your Face Tomorrow trilogy - Javier Marias
Five Spice Street - Can Xue
Montano's Malady and Dublinesque - Enrique Vila-Matas
Alain Robbe-Grillet - Repetition
>>
>>8527284
Forgot Aliss at the Fire - Jon Fosse
>>
>>8527293
And:
Inland and Barley Patch - Gerald Murnane
>>
>>8525277
Taipei by Tao Lin
Leaving Society by Tao Lin
>>
The Kite Runner was terrible.
>>
>>8527593
Could you explain why you think so?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.