[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Harlan Ellison?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 4360407-harlan-ellison-1977.jpg (103KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
4360407-harlan-ellison-1977.jpg
103KB, 500x362px
Am I the only one around here who adores him? He was so pompous and proud, with a rock 'n' roll attitude as a young man, and now that he's in his eighties he's the cutest old man (whilst still being prolific). Besides, most of his facetious quips and opinions are well-deserved and come from a good place (if only to spark conversation at the very least). And his best work is on par (and arguably even surpasses) the works of other SFF greats like PKD and Wolfe. He's written 10,000+ short stories--there ought to be gems worthy of great praise (and there definitely are, lots of them). Why doesn't he get more love on here? Most of the SFF-related threads on here are either about PKD or Gene Wolfe. Just, damn. Who else loves him and his work as much as I do?
>>
>>8525212
He's written some fantastic stories. I don't think he surpasses PKD, but he does surpass Wolfe.

His nonfiction writing is pretty fantastic, too.
>>
yes, Harlan, you are the only one around here who adores him. you are the only one who posts these "who loves harlan ellison" threads, and i am the only one who demands you hand over all of the stories you collected for "The Last Dangerous Visions", since it's fucking obvious you aren't going to ever publish the fucking thing.

asimov was right.
>>
>>8525212
>He's writte 10,000+ short stories

Excuse me. I have to call bullshit on this. Can you list all ten thousand stories he's written, or point to a list somewhere?

You aren't including all the anthologies of other peoples' work that he wrote introductions for, are you?
>>
>>8525387
Here's his bibliography.
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?25

It doesn't look like 10,000 to me either.

OP a shit.
>>
>>8525385
What did Asimov say?
>>
>>8525392
oh, nothing much about Ellison; Asimov was too polite for that kind of attention-demanding bullshit. he did make a joke about Harlan being kind of short, but that was after Harlan met him for the first time and dismissed him as "meh, he's not much."
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIFEHN1_cY

Why does he have a MC Ride sweatshirt?
>>
>>8525392

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

>>8525421
>Why does he have a MC Ride sweatshirt?

because he wants people to think that he's still with it, despite his brain having been frozen in place in 1957?
>>
>>8525421

> video titled "on Saving Mr Banks"

> first two minutes are about Mr Ellison

fuck, i thought this was about saving Iain M Banks, a far worthier writer.
>>
>>8525417
Didn't Asimov chimp out over 1984 once?
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 640x360px
I Have No Mouth was excellent. However I was totally underwhelmed by Dangerous Visions, barring PKD's story and maybe two or three others.

I'd like to read some of his other work. His role in Scooby Doo was cool.
>>
He's hit and miss. He has a few works that are staggeringly good, The Deathbird chief among them, but a lot of his most trumpeted works are subpar Twilight Zone tier (I'm looking at you Moneyeyes!)

His style is far more advanced than PKD but on the whole he's the weaker author, and he doesn't even approach Wolfe that's just foolishness.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.