[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

good lit to learn Norwegian with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1469895806366.jpg (175KB, 739x960px) Image search: [Google]
1469895806366.jpg
175KB, 739x960px
Easy books, childrens books even? I'm just starting out but I'll have Duolingo, a dictionary, and a grammar book to help me with it along the process. I am also going to be doing some listening to Norwegian music and watching Norwegian television with English subtitles if I can find it.

Does this sound about right for language learning? I am determined.

Oh, and side note, any good recommendations for a Norwegian grammar book or will any one typically do?
>>
Probably best asked went it isn't 4am there.
>>
>>8524391
You know, that's a really good point... thanks anon.
>>
>>8524382
http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/587f4b79b093068ee38ec3702fbabe42.nbdigital?lang=no#0

Have fun
>>
File: 1474221334589.jpg (132KB, 640x697px) Image search: [Google]
1474221334589.jpg
132KB, 640x697px
Norway has two written languages, Nyorsk and Bokmal, just FYI.
>>
>>8525511
It's better to learn Danish than bogmaal and better to learn High Norwegian than (((Nynorsk))), in my opinion. I'm Norwegian, by the way
>>
>>8525515

Are they really all that different or will I need to learn all 4?
>>
>Nynorsk

''no''
>>
>>8525728
Sod off
>>8525721
What are you learning Norwegian for? If you want to read, say, Ibsen or Hamsun, then I would just learn Danish, since they wrote in Danish. Bokmål is basically a Norwegian variant of Danish and although the most widespread one, I don't like it as a language. Depending on how good your intuition is, if you understand Danish, you'll understand Bokmål and vice versa.

I would stay away from Hognorsk/High Norwegian to begin with, it's not easy to get into if you don't know any Nordic languages already. After learning some Bokmål and maybe some Nynorsk, you could take a look at >>8525501, which I think is written in Hognorsk.
>>
>>8525769
My bad, only Ibsen wrote in Danish.
>>
File: Birkebeinerne_ski01.jpg (518KB, 1404x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Birkebeinerne_ski01.jpg
518KB, 1404x1000px
>>8525511
Hardly anyone of note gives a shit about nynorsk here, though. Mostly people hate it when they have to learn it in school.

>>8525515
Fair point, but OP wanted to learn norwegian, not danish. And if he does learn it, learning danish would be simplified by miles and leaps, so learning norwegian before danish is fine. I also agree that Hognorsk(High Norwegian) is cooler than nynorsk, but neither is required learning.

>>8525721
They're different, but learning either will allow you to understand the others fairly intuitively. They're all very similar. If you only learn bokmål(book tongue, standard written norwegian) you'll be just fine.

I'm norwegian, and while our schools are very good at teaching english these days, the reason why the majority of us are very good at english is also because of all the english/american culture we consume. I attribute my above average english skills to the fact that I grew up reading books in english, watching english stuff with norwegian subs, hanging out on the internet, playing video games in english etc. So yeah, it's great if you accompany your learning process with norwegian books, movies, whatever. Learning language using only that method seems pretty impractical, though.

As for Norwegian lit, these might be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Folktales

You may also wanna keep this guy in mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Pr%C3%B8ysen

Honorable mentions: Roald Dahl, Anne-Cath. Vestly, Jo Nesbo
>>
File: askildsen_kjell1.jpg (20KB, 589x343px) Image search: [Google]
askildsen_kjell1.jpg
20KB, 589x343px
>>8525800
That's why I'm asking him. If he wants to get into Ibsen and Hamsun, for example, modern Danish is probably more approporiate.

Kjell Askildsen have some short stories which are written in very simple language, but they're still enjoyable, so you could check those out.
>>
>>8525511
Mmm forgot to mention that I am going to learn Bokmål. I think I will totally venture to learn Danish afterwards if it really would be made that much easier like >>8525800 says. Thanks a bunch anon for the help, I'm definitely gonna keep those links you gave in mind.

And also, I was thinking of getting this grammar book (to use alongside a Norwegian/English dictionary and the other resources I mentioned):

https://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Essential-Grammar-Routledge-Grammars/dp/0415109795

Does anybody have any thoughts or does the grammar book I get actually matter all that much?
>>
>>8525881
Oh, I suppose that was stupid, I don't actually know if that grammar book is for bokmål or what yet.
>>
>>8525888
That book is for Bokmål, and whenever someone refers to just Norwegian, everyone will assume you're referring to Bokmål. Nynorsk is hardly relevant.
>>
>>8525895
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.