[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting into english-language literature The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg (161KB, 732x1097px) Image search: [Google]
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg
161KB, 732x1097px
Thinking about getting into english-language literature

The only english-language book I've read was The Hobbit, when I was 10 yrs old

Is this a good place to pick it up?
>>
This board is full of awful people and you're the worst poster here, OP
>>
>>8521783
Thanks for the contribution, appreciate your feedback
>>
>>8521780
check sticky
>>
if you're asking if the book is in english, then yes. yes it is.
>>
>>8521796
No, I am asking if the book a good place to start reading english language. Do I need extensive knowledge of the languages different forms, as in dialects or the spoken form, or does the book require knowledge of previous english-language literature (as in will I miss many injokes and references that are essential for the appreciation of the book)?
>>
>>8521809
>>8521780
No, it's not a good place to start.
>>
>>8521809
i dunno if you feel confident in your abilities go for it
i would recommend something like bukowski or raymond carver but fuck me.
>>
The general answer works here too: google the lit starter pack and choose one you find interesting.
>>
Try the Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway.
>>
>>8521888
Thanks, will read it

>>8521824
What works of Carver and Bukowski in particular would be good?

>>8521822
Do you have any suggestions?
>>
Read Moby Dick and don't read the fucking /lit/ books
>>
>>8522220
>2 off
>>
>>8522220
I'm not a native English speaker and have read Moby Dick twice, both of them in English. It's not an easy book by any means, and far more difficult than BM
>>
>>8522252
I don't get this at all, and it's a common opinion on /lit/. Blood meridian had words archaic enough to not be found in a dictionary, long and wordy stream of consciousness monologues and erratic grammar, none of which you'd find in Moby Dick. The most trouble I had with Moby was identifying the biblical allusions.
>>
>>8522265
I'm mostly referring to the vocabulary. "Old" english plus some specific whaling and sailing stuff. I found that more challenging than anything in BM.
>>
>>8522265
There's no real stream-of-consciousness in BM.
>>
>>8521780
Yes and no. Yes because there's enough violence, action, and philosophy to keep someone not familiar with the traditions of literature engaged the entire time, you can still appreciate this as a novice. However, contrary to what people here say this is an extremely dense book and is about the history and philosophy of literature/art and its relation to man. I say go for it, sometimes working backwards is more helpful. I just recommend using bookdrum while reading it, and if not even that at least read a summary of paul valerys essay the yalu.
>>
>>8522336
>a summary of paul valerys essay the yalu.
Thanks!

And also to clear things, I'm well read in french, finnish and german literature and only after visiting /lit/ a couple times I realized I had never touched for ex. an american book and became interested in civilizing myself in the english-language tradition
>>
>>8522265
I agree.

I'm not a native english speaker and I've read both Moby-Dick and Blood Meridian and I thought BM was a harder read if you look at what kind of english they were written with.

But like you said, Moby-Dick have some allusions and allegories etc that was pretty difficult to understand, especially since I haven't read the Bible.

But language wise, i'd say Blood Meridian is the tougher read.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.