[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>omg so violent and gory >stomach churning >almost unreadable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: blood-meridian-cormac-mccarthy.jpg (68KB, 620x923px) Image search: [Google]
blood-meridian-cormac-mccarthy.jpg
68KB, 620x923px
>omg so violent and gory
>stomach churning
>almost unreadable

man shit's got me jaded. i didn't think it was anything intensely viscerally violent.

it was a great book though
>>
>>8519931
hey reddit, whats up?
>>
>>8519931
To me there was the obvious physical violence, but there was also a violence was woven into reality. It was as if everything were intrinsically violent or came from something akin to violence.

But yeah, physical violence can reach a point where we tend to stop caring, like it just becomes pageantry (e.g. The 120 Days of Sodom).
>>
>>8519931
I'm a pleb who really liked the film version of the road, I guess I should start reading McCarthy. Is his writing similar?
>>
>>8519931
Personally thought Child of God was more disturbing.
>>
File: bloom.jpg (60KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
bloom.jpg
60KB, 600x380px
>>8519945
>"The first time I read Blood Meridian, I was so appalled that while I was held, I gave up after about 60 pages. "
>>
It does have an awful lot of violence for a "literary" novel, but it's certainly not without precedent.

Here's Smollett in 1771:

"it was determined therefore, in the assembly of the warriors, that ensign Murphy should be brought to the stake, and that the lady should be given to lieutenant Lismahago, who had likewise received his share of torments, though they had not produced emasculation. — A joint of one finger had been cut, or rather sawed off with a rusty knife; one of his great toes was crushed into a mash betwixt two stones; some of his teeth were drawn, or dug out with a crooked nail; splintered reeds had been thrust up his nostrils and other tender parts; and the calves of his legs had been blown up with mines of gunpowder dug in the flesh with the sharp point of the tomahawk."
>>
Pleb here, rec me some Cormac to start out with. Only exposure to him has been through the Coen bros.
>>
>>8520898
No. I mean, it's hard to even compare the two. I suppose there are some parallels between his style and the way No Country for Old Men was shot, but really they are completely different things.

>>8521190
Just start with Blood Meridian. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. He's not for everyone.
>>
>>8519931
I wasn't impressed by the violence. The way Bloom and the people on this board spoke about it I was expecting pages upon pages of extraordinarily detailed homicide and genocide. While there was certainly a fair share of that in the book, it just didn't really feel that extreme. Hogg made me squirm much worse t b h family
>>
>>8519931
Opposite of you. It's violent and gory, and it's not a great book.
>>
>>8519931
what do you want really gory shit then?
>>
>>8519931
I didn't know how violent or gory it was when I went in, so I was surprised by it. It made me physically cringe at times.
>>
File: 1462658996350.jpg (20KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
1462658996350.jpg
20KB, 590x421px
>>8519931
>The Road
>woman literally kills and roasts her own baby over a spit
>>
>>8521430
lmao why would she do that?
>>
>>8521430
I don't remember that in the book...
>>
It's not that it's extreme, is that it's senseless and omnipresent.
>>
>>8521430
>>8521670
I'm pretty sure it is alluded to but never outright said. If I remember right, there is a group of men keeping women with them to make babies. Eventually the father and son pass by one of their old camps and see the left overs from a meal and the father figures out what happened.

The basement scene is far better.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.