[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the point of a text being written in verse, meter or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: heidegger.jpg (209KB, 791x1024px) Image search: [Google]
heidegger.jpg
209KB, 791x1024px
what is the point of a text being written in verse, meter or rhyming scheme?
I'm reading Goethe's Faust right now and the childish rhyming robs it of all dignity, and I don't understand how any of this is desirable

pic unrelated
>>
>>8519188
you're reading it in the original german I presume?
>>
File: gasmann.jpg (16KB, 224x300px) Image search: [Google]
gasmann.jpg
16KB, 224x300px
>>8519188
You're probably reading Goethe in a shitty translation. If so, just stop.

If not, you are just a pleb who can't appreciate the true genius that someone like Goethe tells us a story of epic proportions and does so in a highly stylised manner. In your pleb opinion, Dante and Homer are probably shit too.

>pic unrelated
Your dubs beg to differ.
>>
>>8519188
Rhyming is completely different to metre. Milton, the writer of the greatest poem in the English language, wrote this:

>THE Measure is English Heroic Verse without Rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and Virgil in Latin; Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age, to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian, and Spanish Poets of prime note have rejected Rhime both in longer and shorter Works, as have also long since our best English Tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, triveal, and of no true musical delight; which consists onely in apt Numbers, fit quantity of Syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one Verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings, a fault avoyded by the learned Ancients both in Poetry and all good Oratory. This neglect then of Rhime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar Readers, that it rather is to be esteem'd an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recover'd to heroic Poem from the troublesom and modern bondage of Rimeing.
>>
>>8519201
>>8519209
I'm reading in German, and I quite enjoyed Homer, who (atleast in my translation) didn't rhyme

>>8519216
wasn't implying that they are the same
>>
>>8519209
>pleb
I have to screenshot this post for r/4chan XD
>>
>>8519293
Oh excuse me for mislabeling you, shitlord. I forgot that plebs on /lit/ prefer to be called "pseuds".

By the way, your tumblr is showing.
>>
>>8519188
Rhyming really is the bane of poetry. Unless your language is easy to rhyme in (Arabic, Persian, any of the Romance languages, Chinese) you shouldn't do it.
>>
>>8519188
verse allows you to multiply meaning with line breaks
meter allows an element of musicality to the work, and ensures a consistent pacing
rhyme ties otherwise unlike words into direct comparison

there are obviously other reasons, but those are probs the biggest
>>
>>8519597
>verse allows you to multiply meaning with line breaks
what do you mean by "multiply meaning"
otherwise this is helpful and what I basically suspected
how Goethe is rhyming makes very little sense to me, especially in the more trivial passages
I just flipped back to "Vor dem Tore" and I just hate this and how its rhymed
>>
>>8519619
this of each line in a traditional poem as its own distinct thought
then think of each sentence as the same
linebreaks essentially allow you to nest 'sentences' within each other or divide a sentence in a way that still preserves the whole
enjambments are cool man
>>
>>8519188
Before the printing press, the scarce copies of works were often read aloud for an audience. Here meter and rhyme are aurally pleasing.

However when you read alone silently and stop sub-vocalizing, they are no longer particularly useful.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.