[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has /lit/ read pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: quiet.jpg (135KB, 640x1024px) Image search: [Google]
quiet.jpg
135KB, 640x1024px
I just started reading The Quiet American. Like it so far, has anyone read it?
>>
>>8515800
>muh indochina
>muh 1950s Saigon
GOAT tier. Made me want to spend the rest of my life in a sweaty, tropical, opium-induced stupor, shacked up with a Vietnamese qt in downtown Saigon.
>>
>>8515800
ooo, im gonna read this
>>
>>8516018
Made me want to smoke opium with Phuong
>>
>>8516018
Continue...
>>
>>8515800
When you're done reading it, you'll want to check out Greene's other books. 'Our Man in Havana' is genuinely funny.

'The Power and the Glory' is also great. Greene really knows how to render tropical climate.

I dropped 'Brighton Rock' and 'The Confidential Agent' halfway through though.
>>
>>8516065
>cynically going through the motions of life.
>meeting a French detective who reads Pascal late into the night.
>wading through a rice paddy with colonial infantrymen
>feeling a mix of contempt and pity for American' innocence
>achieving world-weariness in style
>>
>>8516096
Stop it
>>
>>8515800
I read it for a vietnam class before I got into "lit". I thought it was a good book that could've been a good movie but the real movie sucked.
>>
File: ficP.103100PiastreND1954CL1.jpg (308KB, 1523x974px) Image search: [Google]
ficP.103100PiastreND1954CL1.jpg
308KB, 1523x974px
>>8516018

I too enjoyed these little vignettes.

Are there any other books in the same vein? I've read some of Duras which "worked for me" if you know what I mean. The knowledge that shortly afterwards a war ripped through that place like a wild fire in a drought only makes it more compelling.
>>
>>8516497
>>8516497
Are you talking about French Indochina specifically or orientalism tinged with existential ennui in general? There's plenty of stuff on the latter and not so much on the former (that I'm aware of.)

This is the only book I know of that's set in French Indochina, along with Duras's The Sea Wall and Malraux's 'The Royal Way'.

The best books I've read about the Vietnam war were 'Matterhorn' and 'The Things They Carried'.

Movie-wise, you might want to check out Schoendoerffer's 'The 317th Platoon', 'Dien Bien Phu', and 'Le Crabe-tambour' if you haven't already. That shit is GOAT tier.

That scene from 'Apocalypse Now' set in the French plantation. 'The Deer Hunter' also has a scene in it with this French arms dealer/trafficker that reminded me a lot of The Quiet American.
>>
>>8516636

Thanks anon. I get the same feel reading about Alexandria and Cairo so probably the latter.

The plantation scene is one of my favourites in the movie, I think of it as a "hidden" scene since it's a lot less famous than the other scenes. Maybe that's silly though.

I'll be sure to check out those movies you mentioned, and I've been meaning to read Andre Malraux for a while now. I have O'Brien's book out from the library atm, but somebody recalled Matterhorn. Have you read Tree of Smoke? I dunno if you're watching this thread anymore, but it's a pretty GOAT book imo.
>>
>>8517483
In that case, I'd recommend Greene's other novels, 'The Power and the Glory' and 'Our Man in Havana' in particular. I've been meaning to read 'The Comedians' but I haven't gotten round to it yet.

I felt that Lowry's 'Under the Volcano' and 'A Hundred Years of Solitude' gave off a similar vibe. If you're French or if you can read French, you should try to get your hands on Michaux's 'Un Barbare en Asie'.

The plantation scene is also one of my favourites. I think they put it back in when they released the redux version of the movie.

I just thought of some more movies: "The Sand Pebbles', '55 Days at Beijing' and 'The Last Emperor' that all got me longing for a sick mustache and a pith helmet.
>>
>>8515800
Actually dont see GG mentioned on here. Ever. Read this and Our Man in Havana and loved it.
>>
>>8518341
you're doing god's work, thanks anon
>>
Has anybody read Travels With My Aunt?

I read it when I was 17, I don't remember a thing but it was pretty comfy too.
>>
>>8518351
Thanks anon
>>
>>8515800
I read it. It was his weakest work from what I've read. End of the Affair was really great and Heart of the Matter was not bad either. Psychologically it was one of the best portrayals of the common I'm hellbound anyway attitudes.
Have not yet read Power and Glory, but I will read it in the future for sure. He hits a very fine line of being both easy to read and great as a writer.
>>8518350
I've seen him 3-4 times, he's usually mentioned in the catholic lit threads, but I haven't made any in a while now.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.