[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Flashman Papers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

File: 019flashmanDM_468x582.jpg (72KB, 468x582px) Image search: [Google]
019flashmanDM_468x582.jpg
72KB, 468x582px
Hi all I was wondering if anyone else has read the Flashman papers by George Mcdonald Fraiser?
I read up to Flashman and the tiger when i was mid teens and loved them,

Wanted to know from any other Flashers what there favorite Flashman book is? mine in order of favorite is:

>Royal Flash
>Flashman and the redskins
>Flashmans Lady
>Flashman (1st Book)
>Flashman and the great game
>Flash for Freedom!
>Flashman and the angel of the lord
>Flashman and the Dragon
>Flashman and the tiger.

I heard there was also the speedicut Papers and some modern flashman book but i never go around to them, are they worth the time?

Also proper Flasman film WHEN? i know there was the one from the 70s starring the clockwork orange guy but it was really cheesy and didnt have any of the dark themes that make the books great.
>>
File: 11121026_flashman_268226c.jpg (44KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
11121026_flashman_268226c.jpg
44KB, 620x413px
>>8512619

bump.

Down to page 10 I go ;_;

seriously, no one read or have an opinion on this?
>>
File: flashman460.jpg (42KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
flashman460.jpg
42KB, 460x500px
oh! and i forgot ive also read

>Flashman and the mountain of light
>>
>>8512619
i like royal flash the most too. tried to start a flashman post on here the other day. someone said they thought it looked to british. flasher is literally me.
>>
>>8512751
that was me. these do look *incredibly* British
>>
File: a0YVYkpV0He2lOVinQ8pqdOTESe.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a0YVYkpV0He2lOVinQ8pqdOTESe.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>8512751
>>8512764

Well speaking as a british person it certainly carries alot of inserted admiration for british historical figures, however id disagree its at all flattering.

After all, the main character is a coward and does dispicable acts to his fellow man.

Its also not paticularly about britan at all, its about many historical, mid-late 1800 settings. From the Ivory coast with slavers, rebelion struck India, wartorn afganistan to sebria on sleds.

There anything but praise of the british empire, there just a backdrop, if anthing they always look shoddy and ill concived (the commanders/leaders he meets)

In short id argue theres no Honour or valour involved and the covers are mearly a joke and a tounge in cheek refrence to British propaganda of old,(like pic related) or indeed the james bond posters, with James Bond being at its most popular at the time.
>>
>>8512846
im not british and think theyre fucking hilarious. realized they made a royal flash movie. need to get my hands on that shit
>>
>>8512855
that was easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xKT4n63OQ
>>
File: Flash-for-freedom.jpg (152KB, 460x401px) Image search: [Google]
Flash-for-freedom.jpg
152KB, 460x401px
>>8512855
>>8512858

Speaking of the film, which one do you reckon they would definately be hard pressed to make into a film? my moneys on pic related, what with nigger this and nigger that thrown in. Though i think it added athenticity to the story. Its also one of the funniest ones.

Is there anyone alive now actor wise who would make a good flashman? I always think of classic Oliver Reed in his prime would have been perfect but he's been dead for ages.
>>
>>8512898
this dude's in for it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/10836577/Dominic-West-its-time-for-a-new-Flashman-film.html

is your pic related the one with abe lincoln?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mlea7jXFA31qg2eov.jpg (102KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mlea7jXFA31qg2eov.jpg
102KB, 500x338px
>>8512910
yes its when he becomes a slave runner and meets a young abraham lincoln who for all intents and purposes is a snivveling wretch and doesnt give much of a damn about slavery, save for some fine words.

Hers the one from the great game. willing to dump some pics i found.

Thats really intesting btw, thanks!
>>
>>8512910

Also i just read that coloum, when did flashman rape someone in the first book? I remember he was forceful but she succumbed willingly and he explained at lenth she was a tribal girl and how thats how they did courtship there, im pretty sure he start off confused and yell 'what the devil do you think your doing you crazy bitch?!" when she 'attacks' him but he sooned cottoned on and steamy sex arose.

Am i mis-remembering or is the telegraph being stupid?

Oh and If Hollywood wanted to make a more 'soft, PC' flashman they could try Flashmans lady, its alot more palpable to the mainstream I feel as his Wife censors half the book (for comic effect).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.