[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes you, at least, care about a character in a fantasy book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What makes you, at least, care about a character in a fantasy book?
>>
>>8512009
Is he white, male, masculine, and conservative? If so, I'm on board
>>
>>8512009
Is the lead character interesting in their attitude and behavior in their debut? If not, I'll lose interest and return the book.

I lost interest in Anita Blake since I couldn't see her motivation in her debut book. But I got interested in Artemis Fowl for his severe and careful attitude toward his mother.
>>
>>8512043
This, but also tempered with some healthy confiction.

If a hero is like, rocket pointed at an objective it quickly becomes more about the objective he's after than him. Which is ok, if the book is really just about the world he's in.

But if he's conflicted, has doubt about what he's doing, if it's the best thing to do, etc... also have him fuck some things up just to add some gravity to those doubts. He, and the Audience will be like "weeeell... you DID fuck up the last time you tried this, maybe you SHOULD try something else"
>>
File: Guts_Portrait.jpg (94KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
Guts_Portrait.jpg
94KB, 468x468px
>>8512009
if they're this guy, then i care.
>>
A subsumed hero is best hero, kind of like boromir or henry vi
>>
>>8512023
>He actually thinks this doesn't sound exactly what sjws are doing but in reverse.
>Muh strong character that resembles what I wish to be!
>>
>>8513440
Horseshoe theory is real.
>>
>>8513442
Are you implying it isnt? Are you defending the first anon for his completely retarded hypocritical identity politics? What's going on here?
>>
>>8513363
I was going to drop Berserk until I read the end of the fight with the slug Apostle.

sadguts.jpg was the most powerful thing I saw in Japanese media at the time.
>>
>>8513465
>x is real.
>Are you implying x isn't real?
You've dealt with far too many ironic shitposters in your life, anon. No I'm not doing any of that. I'm agreeing with you.
>>
>>8513477
Probably have. Sorry.
>>
>>8513465
Ease up there champ, he was agreeing with you and the post you got triggered over was bait
>>
>>8513473
One of my favorite moments in the early manga. really speaks on who guts is and what he is feeling, kinda like the scene where he's riding with the preacher and his daughter. How he cradles his knees and claims there is no god. not a comment made in ignorance or spite, but one in fear and sadness.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.