[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /lit/ feel about Paolini's Inheritance Cycle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Inheritancecover.jpg (648KB, 810x1168px) Image search: [Google]
Inheritancecover.jpg
648KB, 810x1168px
How does /lit/ feel about Paolini's Inheritance Cycle?
>>
He published too young. If he had waited until he was more mature and more developed as a write it could have been pretty good. As it stands it's a generic fantasy series that I have fond memories of because I was a teenager when I first read it.
>>
It's better than Sword of Truth and shorter than Wheel of Time, that's about all I can say for it.
>>
>>8503025

I started reading it knowing that it was mostly regarded as trash. I have a soft spot for such fantasy though, and I eagerly read the six first Wheel of Time books and enjoyed them (mostly) even though they're, I suppose, fairly generic.

Fuckin' Paolini though... I had to drop the book after 150-200 pages. I rarely quit books, but it was just bad, predictable, uninteresting and generally boring.

>>8503032

Sword of Truth, at least the first few books, has some interesting ideas. Inheritance is the worst kind of generic.
>>
There's too much detail where there shouldn't be any, is all I can say of the writing style. I'm a firm believer in the idea that if you can say something with less words (without sounding like a complete moron) then you should do it, and that you should cut detail that is superfluous to the story and style. Because Paolini had no real voice as a writer in the Inheritance Cycle, and because reading it was like reading the result of what you'd get if you stuck Tolkien and Eddings and half a dozen others in a blender together with a whole lot of teenage fanfiction, none of the detail I describe as superfluous could really have been kept based on the fact that it added to his "style." The books could have had a third as many words as they did and done just as well, with some extremely careful editing and rewriting.
>>
>>8503054
>reading it was like reading the result of what you'd get if you stuck Tolkien and Eddings and half a dozen others in a blender together
Having never read the books, I had heard that one of his biggest faults in his writing style was that it seemed like he used a thesaurus at every turn.
>>
>>8503025
I read eragon when i was young.

the ending with eragon in bed made me reconsider life.
>>
>>8503028
Pretty much same experience as you.
>>
>>8503065
That is true. Or typed the word into Google along with "synonym" and picked whatever sounded fanciest, though maybe he wrote them before Google was that good. Maybe he used an actual, honest to God thesaurus (I don't know anyone who's done this in the past twenty years with the exception of my grandfather doing crossword puzzles, and he was 93 so I could forgive him) and flipped through it every time he thought a word looked too plain. Maybe he used thesaurus.com. Who knows.

Whatever the case, there was more than one instance where his overly flowery wording rendered the sentence insensible.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.