[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth learning Farsi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Tomb_of_Cyrus_the_Great.jpg (37KB, 280x420px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb_of_Cyrus_the_Great.jpg
37KB, 280x420px
Is it worth learning Farsi?
>>
>>8502831
if u want 2
>>
Are you an academic with a specific, practical reason to learn it? if not no.
>>
>>8502831
First of all Persian,
If you're interested in Persian Lit then it's worth alot since lots of Persian works haven't been translated to English, or have been translated but have shitty translation or have become rare books. It's well worth it to read Persian poetry in original because it's much more beautiful in original and the rhyming of it is kept.
Persian is not much hard, I think your hardest struggle will be alphabet and voc., since Persian grammar is very easy (no feminine/masculine etc.).
>>
>>8502831
Yeah, do it.
>>
>>8503011
Every time I call it Persian I get corrected to Farsi and vice versa.
>>
>>8503124
http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm
>>
>>8502831
It's supposedly really easy to learn, poetic and intuitive.

That polyglot Tim Doner says it's his favorite language.
>>
>>8502831
Its called Persian u cockdingler
>>
File: 20160913_025651-1.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_025651-1.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
>>8502831
>>8503447
Also, yeah, I think so. Great cinema, great lit. (can read 1k year old texts) highly logical and regular language while being exotic enough to be immensely interesting. Don't be dissuaded by the writing system, that'll be really the only thing that holds you back. If you wanna look at some materials, pic are very good. Colloquial Persian is also great. Make sure to get the older versions though for TYS. Newer versions are essentially phrssebooks. Lonely Planet phrasebook also has a nice succinct, basic grammar at the beginning.
>>
File: 20160913_032159-1.jpg (2MB, 1702x2938px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_032159-1.jpg
2MB, 1702x2938px
>>8503462
Here's what the TYS looks like, and an example of how logical a lot of Persian is, even in its irregularities.
>>
>>8503484
I'm looking to get into Persian/Farsi. What text is this?
>>
>>8503544
Ignore me. Just read your other post.

Thanks mang.
>>
>>8503546
Good luck!
>>
In a few years learning languages will be dated since translation software is rapidly becoming better. Soon you'll be able to speak realtime in English with a lad who speaks realtime in Mandarin.
>>
>>8503680
You don't learn a language so that you can read things literally, there is a word in Korean that literally has no meaning but only adds feeling. What a dumb comment if it wasn't bait.
>>
>>8503771
Of course there will always a few people who are dedicated enough to spend decades to learn the nuances of another language in order to experience it's literature in a way that somewhat approaches the level a native speaker could, but the vast majority of language learning is not done for this purpose. Most people already are willing to just read a translation when it comes to literature.

Soon learning another living language will be a niche interest to the degree that learning ancient Greek is now.
>>
>>8503462
>>8503484
thanks

I love Persian cinema desu
>>
more like fartsy
>>
>>8503781
>Soon learning another living language will be a niche interest to the degree that learning ancient Greek is now.
You're an idiot. Nostradamus was more accurate than you are trying to be.
>>
>>8503842
Nice argument, increasingly nervous English teacher in Asia.
>>
>>8503680
>>8503781
> stop thinking right now because in the future google will do it for us
>>
>>8503856
Your arguments were quite impeccable as well!
>>
>>8503868
Anticipating the (near) future is a pretty good idea when you're considering sinking considerable time and effort into acquiring a skill.

>>8503870
Saying that the incentive to learn languages will almost completely diminish for almost all people once automated translation becomes a viable alternative for the vast majority of purposes seems like a pretty reasonable point to make to me.
>>
>>8503124
>>8503011

Iranians told me they prefer farsi when I was in the country, although I mysef agree with >>8503362
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.