[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arab Post-modernism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: the key.jpg (79KB, 1300x498px) Image search: [Google]
the key.jpg
79KB, 1300x498px
Any other fans of post-modernist Arab literature here? After reading Yusuf al-Ani's "The Key" in English I've been monkeying around with the Arabic version, but I feel that my lack of experience with the language inhibits my full appreciation of it. To me it's really definitive of the genre.
>>
>>8502180
>monkeying around
That better not be racist

I've never read any post-modernist Arab lit but from what little I've read of annotated classics I wouldn't even approach it for shame of all the untranslatable typographical puns I'd be missing
>>
>>8502205

No racism intended.

Arabic as a language lends itself heavily to poetic expression. I once read a poem on the subject of night, and practically slapped myself when I realized that the poet had deliberately written the entire poem using only what are called "moon letters". Not a single sun letter was used. There is a level of craft to certain Arab works that is astonishing when you know enough to dissect it.
>>
bump, surely I can't be alone
>>
>posting this soon after 9/11

Some nerve there abdul
>>
>>8502415

>philistines
>on /lit/
>>
>>8502205
>That better not be racist

Or what Rafiki?
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 333x499px
Would you call this post modern? I feel like it straddles the line between modernism and post modernism. It's an amazing read though.
>>
>>8502498

I wouldn't quite call it postmodern, and it isn't Arab, but it's still an excellent work from that region and I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's a classic.
>>
nother bamp
>>
I've been wondering this for a while but didn't know where to ask : is Arabic literature usually written in MSA or do writers use their own dialect ? If I learn MSA, will I be able to read Naguib Mahfouz for example ?
>>
in arab postmodernism, the protagonist presses the detonator button and nothing happens

in arab postmodernism, women talk back to their husbands

in arab postmodernism, the jew is depicted in bizarre manner that makes him appear almost human

in arab postmodernism, the hijackers die of ennui before they can make it to manhatter

in arab postmodernism, goats are just another animal—it's as if the concept of a goat wife never existed
>>
>>8503218
arab literature mostly written in the blood of the infidel unless it's hairy leftist hippy curds, then it's written from the blood from their free-bleed pussies
>>
>>8503347
Lol
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.