[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar help please?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Ok, /lit/, I know this doesn't really fit in here, but I don't know where else to ask. I have to analyse this sentence for my Grammar class and I can't seem to find where to start. Is anybody willing to help?

Here's the sentence:

If you leave now and never come back I give you my word we won't phone the police.

Thanks in advance! I'm in despair right now.
>>
>>8499129
>>>/wsr/

What do you need specifically analyzed out of the sentence?
>>
>>8499129
So if X person leaves Y person won't call the police. seems simple to me. Probably needs a few commas though.
>>
>>8499129
Are you supposed to do something like:
If you leave now and never come back, I give you my word, we won't phone the police.
And the. You talk about why you added the commas or something?
>>
>>8499170
Alternatively: "If you leave now and never come back - I give you my word - we won't phone the police.
>>
>>8499170
Or
"If you leave now and never come back, I give you my word that we won't phone the police." Assuming you can add a word
>>
>>8499163
>>8499168
>>8499170
>>8499176
I need to point out clauses, subject and predicate (I also have to point out word types, direct/indirect objects and functions, but I could deal with that if I knew what the clauses, S+P are).
>>
File: 0002 - SWoKq7A.jpg (179KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0002 - SWoKq7A.jpg
179KB, 600x600px
>>8499190
Clauses: http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/clause.htm
Subjects: http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/subject.htm
Predicates: http://www.grammar-monster.com/glossary/predicate.htm

I'm no grammar expert but, here's my take on it:

If you leave now and never come back I give you my word we won't phone the police.

Subject: (you)
Clause: If you leave now and never come back
Predicate: give you my word we won't phone the police
>>
>>8499129
I'm not awesome at this kind of thing, but it needs some punctuation as has been pointed out.

but the part that bothers me is the I/we thing. "*I* give you MY word WE won't phone the police." maybe a separate issue but without context how do we know the other person won't phone the police?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.