[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Hegel react to Schopenhauer's Will?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: aaaaaa.jpg (953KB, 2480x2480px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
953KB, 2480x2480px
when it first came out
>>
why would he react

did Shopenhauer hate Hegel or something?
>>
>>8497668
Schopie was jealous because he was a nobody while Hegel was the talk of the philosophical world.
>>
>>8497668
Yeah Schopenhauer despised Hegel, he was basically Chad to him.
They lectured at the same university and Schopenhauer decided to schedule all his lectures at the same time as Hegel's to spite him. Then nobody showed up to Schopes since he's a faggot wimp
>>
>>8497682
at least Schopie knew how to fucking write...unlike Hegel who is probably the worst writer I have ever read in all of philosophy
>>
>>8497668
Imagine in Kierkegaard lived at the same time, in the same country, and taught at the same university as Hegel.

That's how Schopenhauer felt: "he's so wrong but the world will forever associate German philosophy with him and he is ruining my career with his Scheisse"
>>
>>8497711
Hegel is a much better writer. Schopenhauer has eight-page arcane examples that drive you crazy, and he's fast and loose with his distinctions. You get his general meaning quickly but can never pin down his meaning on close study. By contrast reading Hegel is more exciting (people usually compare the experience of reading the Phenomenology of Spirit to that of reading a great thriller with coming-of-age themes), and Hegel also makes it possible to pin down exactly what he's talking about. The difference is that Hegel is significantly more difficult to get started with, but Hegel also rewards close rereading in a way that Schopenhauer never does.
>>
>>8497729
Why is the Phenomenology so hard to read then

many cite it as the hardest philosophy book of all time
>>
>>8497729
>people usually compare the experience of reading the Phenomenology of Spirit to that of reading a great thriller with coming-of-age themes

Who has ever made this comparison, I don't believe you
>>
>>8497729

>Hegel also makes it possible to pin down exactly what he's talking about.

Troll or deluded.
>>
File: aaaaaa.jpg (16KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
16KB, 552x414px
>>8497729
> people usually compare the experience of reading the Phenomenology of the Spirit to that of reading a great thriller with coming of age themes
>>
File: hegel_hires_1024x1024.jpg (126KB, 650x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hegel_hires_1024x1024.jpg
126KB, 650x1024px
>>8497734
Peter Kalkavage wrote a whole book about that comparison, called "The Logic of Desire." Very fun read. And Kalkavage wasn't the first, and ever since publication of the book he certainly hasn't been the last.
>>
>>8497749
It takes a lot of hard work but his notions only get clearer with time. I guess I shouldn't be so presumptuous as to say that it's *all* possible to pin down, but it only gets easier and easier. The first read is far and away the hardest.
>>
>>8497701
Grgily?
>>
>>8497749
>says mutually exclusive sentence of the form "A or B"
>pretends to know something about Hegel
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202KB, 800x600px
>>8497729

> Schopenhauer has eight-page arcane examples that drive you crazy, and he's fast and loose with his distinctions. You get his general meaning quickly but can never pin down his meaning on close study

Such as?

I can think of some possible changes in how Schopenhauer used certain terms/emphasized certain concepts as his thoughts and writings aged - but I don't think this is uncommon with philosophers (Hegel included, if I'm not mistaken).
>>
>>8497729
but schopenhauer has a great sense of humour
>Bearing in mind that for an angle two lines meeting each other
are required which when produced intersect each other; that the
tangent, on the other hand, touches the circle only at one point,
but at this point really runs parallel to it; and if we thus have
present in our mind the abstract conviction of the impossibility of
an angle between the circumference of a circle and the tangent, but
yet have such an angle visibly before us on paper, all this will easily
make us smile. In this case, of course, the ludicrous is extremely
feeble
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.