[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he jealous ...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: aaaaaa.jpg (132KB, 667x872px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.jpg
132KB, 667x872px
that he never became famous like many European writers...
>>
>>8495299
Europeans for some reason don't give a fuck about American writers, although for some reason they love Hemingway. I've met quite a few well-read Europeans and the only American motherfucker they ever seem to care about is Hemingway.
>>
>>8495303
so what was the European reception of Moby-Dick?
>>
>>8495307
I'm talking about today, but IIRC, in England it was better received than it was here. Obviously, it didn't have much of a greater spread than that because it wasn't popular enough to be translated and lol illiterate irish peasants.
>>
>>8495303
>tfw english but most of my favourite authors are american
>>
>>8495303
they've also read PKDick and Chomsky, but yes
>>
>>8495307
Virtually the same as American opinions. It widely recognized as part of the canon, and one of the few American works worth reading. At the entertainment level, the basic story is gripping and fun. It fills a niche that had been missing till that time--the epic narrative of the sea.

Problems would include the analytical examination of whale hunting, which is more than half the book, and in comparison fluff.
>>
>>8495299
He mostly was just very sad about many things. If you've done some research on his life you can just see how sad he must have been.

I really feel bad for Melville. Wrote the greatest American work but had a lot of hardships (poor childhood, sons suicide). Ishmael's hypos may have been solved in the end, but its clear that Melville's never were.
>>
>>8495325
>PKDick
Oh yeah, I was gonna mention that asshole too for some reason, good one. And I guess Chomsky too, you're right. But Hemingway is the stereotypical American writer that Europeans read IMO. He practically is more of a European than an American writer, considering his influences and all the travelling he did throughout Europe.
>>
Argentina here

Walt Whitman, Twain, Faulkner, Hemingway and Poe are famous. Newspaper stands near bus stations and subway stations often sell books, and you can often find books by them (except Whitman)
With Melville, you get the case of Moby Dick being much more famous than him.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.