[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read Dune and loved it, and then I picked up Messiah for $1.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 9780425043790-us-300.jpg (23KB, 300x457px) Image search: [Google]
9780425043790-us-300.jpg
23KB, 300x457px
I read Dune and loved it, and then I picked up Messiah for $1.
Will it live up to expectations?
>>
>>8495294
It reads like a hurried epilogue to Dune, at times it feels like Herbert is already preoccupied with the next book and is just going through the motions to humor you. Some people like it but the general consensus is that it's kind of shit, but also necessary if you want to go to the next book.

I'd stop after 4 if you're going into the series unless you don't mind being left off on a cliffhanger forever, in which case 5 and 6 aren't bad, but they aren't as thematically rich as the first and fourth books which are the best points of the series.

Dune is a very thematically rich yet stylistically mediocre to poor series. God Emperor epitomizes the series in that respect. I highly recommend it regardless.
>>
File: Plato.png (240KB, 746x838px) Image search: [Google]
Plato.png
240KB, 746x838px
I did the same thing, except my copy of messiah was $1.75. It was the edition in your picture.

Never got around to reading it. Just looked for it to confirm I paid $1.75 for it. It's not on the shelf to the right of Dune.

Maybe I'll never read it now.
>>
>>8495310
So is the third book better than this one, then?
>>
>>8495312
It's a much more proper work in itself. Messiah is about finishing up the story of Paul while Children is beginning the story of his children, which is finished by God Emperor.

There's a major time jump between Emperor and Heretics (though less than the jump between Children and Emperor, but the main character is the same in both of those books and does shit for the sole purpose of making time not seem to pass much so it's not felt as acutely).
>>
File: 1466210094697.jpg (1022KB, 1144x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1466210094697.jpg
1022KB, 1144x2560px
>>8495294
>>
This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any more books like Dune? Or with elements from Dune? I really like the coming of age trope. It doesn't even have to be sci-fi.
>>
Skip right to God Emperor
>>
>>8495294
yeah it's the best one
>>
>>8495322
I wonder how lesser of a man Brian feels like every single day that he wakes up

meanwhile christopher tolkien basically coughed on some tattered manuscripts of Children of Hurin and turned it into his father's most readable/enjoyable work
>>
>>8495432
warhammer 40k setting and plot elements are copied directly from dune

also the first few books apparently feature a bunch of fart and dump jokes. pretty good.

The best coming of age tale I know is "A separate peace", probably considered young adult literature, but one of the outright most haunting things i have ever read that sticks with me almost 20 years later.
>>
>>8495540
Without spoilers, why should i do that?
>>
>>8496913
You shouldn't.
>>
File: 1471108320656.jpg (331KB, 1000x861px) Image search: [Google]
1471108320656.jpg
331KB, 1000x861px
I've just finished Messiah but I don't give a single fuck about Paul's children. Should I just endure the third book so I can make it to God Emperor, is it reallt worth it?
>>
>>8495432
>This is somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any more books like Dune? Or with elements from Dune? I really like the coming of age trope. It doesn't even have to be sci-fi.

You can probably credit Dune for Star Wars existing, so read some of the books in the SW universe I guess.

Warhammer 40k is also not terrible.
>>
File: clouds.jpg (59KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
clouds.jpg
59KB, 500x375px
>>8496981
>I don't give a single fuck about Paul's children

You should, Leto is everything Paul should have become but didn't, he's the real Kwisatz Haderach and the one who ensures mankind's survival in the long run.
>>
>>8497032
Ass clown spoiled fart juicer
>>
>>8495322
>Recommending the retarded son's hired hack's work to those who love dune

Srsly, wtf.
>>
>>8497032
> he's the real Kwisatz Haderach
Thanks for ruining it mate
>>
>>8497059
>Please, for the love of the God Emperor, don't do this
It's silly for another reason though. It's basically 'read one, if you liked it, read the next, and so on'.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.