[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power of myth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: The_Power_of_Myth.jpg (243KB, 354x464px) Image search: [Google]
The_Power_of_Myth.jpg
243KB, 354x464px
Wtf is this garbage? Couldn't get through half of it.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>8495142
I have no idea, I've never read it or heard of it.

What prompted you to read it and why was it so bad?
>>
>>8495154
I heard it would help me get girls but it hasnt at all
>>
>>8495142
gray matter, probably.
>>
>>8495154
I'm interested in how myths effect people and societies.

Campbell seemed like a well regarded guy.

Read it, and he is just a more sciencey sounding new ager.
Or a more knowledgeable new ager who knows alot of other mythos.
But other than that? He has a deconstruction of the dollar bill in the book, and my god it's like hearing a flat earthed talk about the illuminati or some shit.

It seems that people like him because hes a good story teller, but is he a historian? Not even close.
>>
>>8495142
>Am I missing something?
No, Cambell is OK I guess, if you're into that kind of thing, but his writing is dry and people who like it tend to blow his findings way out of proportion and draw wild ass conclusions from it. It's best viewed as opinionated technical writing.
>>
I read half of the Hero With A Thousand Faces and quit. Campell has some interesting ideas but he is a shit writer.
>>
>>8495180
Have you looked into Dialectics of Enlightenment?
Its sounds more in line of what you're looking for
>>
>>8495218
I have not, sounds pretty good I'll add it on the list, thanks.
>>
>>8495180
The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer
>>
He's just some neo-Nietzschean, half-guru half-Freudian prick. Literally talks contemptuously in the introduction to A Thousand Faces (which I read all of, unfortunately), IIRC, about the "modern man" who lives in an infantilized relationship with his mother and is surprised when his wife isn't satisfied with him since she doesn't want to be a mother to him or other bullshit like that, and how myths and dreams can teach us to go beyond this infantile undeveloped state. Then he goes through a bunch of shitty, boring myths. He's the complete definition of a pseud and a hack, he came up with nothing original or interesting, just pasted together a bunch of myths with some tenuous links between them, something anyone on /lit/ could probably do better than him if they'd read enough myths. His is a case similar to Robert Anton Wilson, where his predecessors/heavy influences (in Campbell's case, Nietzsche, Jung, Freud, and Joyce) are all more profound than the derivative hack himself.

If you really wanna grow a set of nuts, OP, read Nietzsche, and godspeed.
>>
>>8495180
>It seems that people like him because hes a good story teller, but is he a historian? Not even close.

I think you may have had some misconceptions about Joseph Campbell if you were expecting him to be a historian. He's definitely never held himself out as such; he definitely followed more in Jung's footsteps, and his works are more anthropological and focus heavily on symbolism (hence why he brings up the dollar bill; study of symbols can definitely sound occult-ish). I think you might prefer the works of Claude Levi-Strauss, probably the name in structural anthropology, as he goes into more depth than Campbell beyond just analyzing myths.

Also tbf to Campbell, this book was certainly NOT designed to be scholarly in any way; it's the transcript of an interview Campbell did for a PBS special with Bill Moyers from 1988 (or maybe '87?), so it's meant for popular consumption. The special was sort of a tribute to Campbell, who at that time was very old, and he in fact died shortly before the program aired on TV.
>>
>>8495205
Campbell's prose could eat yours alive, pleb
>>
>>8495265
Stop acting the cunt, ya bitchy fuck
>>
>>8495265
Calm down Sebastian, you're already at the hospital you fucking cunt.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.