[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is franzen the most underrated living writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: t100_franzen.jpg (35KB, 514x600px) Image search: [Google]
t100_franzen.jpg
35KB, 514x600px
is franzen the most underrated living writer?
>>
>>8494998
Well I dont even know who he is, so Im guessing no
>>
>>8494998
Over. You mean overrated.
>>
He's rated pretty highly by Oprah and sells well because of it. Not to mention all the awards and top novels lists he's on, so I'd say no.
>>
>>8494998
I'll admit that I only have interest in Franzen in as much as he was part of DFW's life and literary milieu, but his piece on DFW's death, among other things -- "Father Away -- is stunningly beautiful. That's all I've read of his.
>>
>>8494998
All I know are the names of his books and that Charlie Rose interview he did with DFW, where Franzen was visibly butthurt and lashed out a few times due to the fact that DFWs responses made him look like a dull, vindictive hack.
>>
>>8494998
No. As others have said he's actually really acclaimed which kind of bars him from being underrated.

I've only read Purity but it was a great book. The characters were very 'fleshy and I actually cared about them a lot. The writing is fun and expansive from a relationship point of view.
>>
I am probably the only person in the world who has read his memoir of sorts, 'The Discomfort Zone'. I hated it.

I'd like to try his fiction before I write him off but he makes it too easy.
>>
>>8495039
you should read Purity. the Andreas character is heavily based on DFW.
>>
>>8495063
i have read his memoir like four times. i turn to it in times of trouble, when i feel lonely or whatever.
>>
No that would be Pynchon.
>>
>>8494998
That's not Delilo
>>
>>8494998
There is nothing underrated about Franzen.
>>
Somehow I get the feeling that every Franzen thread is bait posted by the same exact faggot every time.
>>
>>8495054
Well, DFW was being deliberate dickhead in that interview.
>>
>write a book detailing a guy shoving meat in his clothes at the grocery store
>turn on the news years later and see a guy doing the same thing
>The Corrections is about a black family
>it all makes sense now
>>
Franzen is complete shit. A mush-minded sub-Updike in a cheap rumpled suit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.