[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alan Watts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: alan-watts-woods-web.jpg (66KB, 640x303px) Image search: [Google]
alan-watts-woods-web.jpg
66KB, 640x303px
I can't stop listening to this guy.
His voice is so soothing, and I'm just a sucker for his philosophy. I've read his 2 books, the way of zen and The Taboo.
Last couple of days I'm in some kind of weird position in which I can't stop thinking about liberation/ nirvana as he explains it, and I'm more scared than ever of the thought of attaining it, and I just wanna continue leading my normal life, yet I can't focus on anything cause in the back of my mind I'm always thinking about this shit.
What does /lit/ think of him?
>>
>>8494339
He's great, but gets repetitive. The more of his writings you begin to digest, the more you realize he's reiterating the same theme, which is 'go with the flow.'

I'd say read 'The Wisdom of Insecurity' and call it a day with Watts. Also read up on the idea of a 'mad monk' or someone possessing 'crazy wisdom.'

I find that Buddhist tradition is useful to understand Watts because the more you read about his personal life the more empty his words become. But, his whole point is that he's a sinner, not a saint. He is flawed, as are we all. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>8494354
i didn't find much info about his personal life, but I know he was alcoholic/ adulterous. But shouldn't we separate message from the messenger?
>>
>>8494380
Sure. It's just more difficult to do when the messenger is espousing a certain way to live.

That being said, I don't think Watts' lifestyle contradicted most of his message.
>>
Watts, Alan. Detest Intensely. A sensualist and hypocrite. Mystifying charlatan; a poor writer, very third-rate.
>>
I've read The Book and I adore it but I have yet to read more of him, I plan to though. Here are some other books I love that I think you'd dig:
The Art of Loving by Erich Frome
Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
Wind Sand and Stars by Antoine Saint-Exupery
The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri
Tao Te Ching
Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
The Invisibles by Grant Morrison
>>
>>8494567
Which is to say, those are all I think excellent books on the subject of the human programming. I also recommend the movies A Dangerous Method, Lost Highway, Adaptation, Full Metal Jacket, Barry Lyndon, Joe vs the Volcano, Observe and Report, Rashomon and Speed Racer along with the shows True Detective and The Prisoner for the same reason.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.