[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For all the /lit/izens that speak spanish. I wanted to ask if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 9788490622827.jpg (536KB, 650x988px) Image search: [Google]
9788490622827.jpg
536KB, 650x988px
For all the /lit/izens that speak spanish. I wanted to ask if some of you read "A Farewell to Arms" by Hemingway in spanish, and if the translations are good. I recently started reading english literature in the original language. But today I found a nice copy of this book very cheap in some library. Would you recomend reading it in english or can the book be enjoyed in the translation?
I'm with a little PTSD for the time after I compared the english version of Catcher in the Rye with the spanish one, and the second one was totally shit and skiped a lot of the use of words Salinger try to convey (even if a lot of it could be translated with no problem).

Hope to get your answer so you could help me choose if I should buy it or spend a little more money in the english version.

>La cara cuando hablas a gente en español en ingles. Díganme si vale la pena leer "Adiós a las armas" en ingles o la versión traducida. No sean putos.
>>
>>8491769
So let me get this straight, you're looking towards the minority of people here who happen to speak Spanish
Who also happen to also speak English
Who also happen to have read Hemingway
Who also happened to have read his translation into Spanish

Just get a fucking English copy mate
>>
>>8491769
I literally just finished reading this, but in English...
if you wanna talk about the book in general, I would appreciate it....
>>
>>8491797
well, I didn't read the book already, but you could send me some info contact if you wanna talk about the book once I get it and finish it.

>>8491782
No, mate. There's a minority of people here that speak spanish, sure, but enough to ask a question about translations. I'm just trying to get to someone who read the book in spanish. I don't know if you talk more than one language, but in that case, I could read any translation for 10 pages and know it's a shit translation. My example of catcher in the rye, and the reason of why I'm reading things in english, is because a lot of this translations (especially the ones that come from Spain) are really shitty, especially in the case of modern literature, where's theres a lot of slang in it. So stop being edgy and contribute or just go shit into a thread you could have at least a valid opinion.
>>
>>8491769
pa k kieres saber eso jaja saludos
>>
>>8491769

Hemingway is one of the most prosaic stylists in the history of literature. He is so boring that you could translate him into any language and not lose anything. Most educated people speak in more complex sentences than Hemingway wrote.
>>
>>8491769
No he leído particularmente Adiós a las armas, pero si Fiesta, y la traducción no estaba mal. Aunque no la comparé con el original. Sinceramente opino que no leas a Hemingway, es american-greats meme tier.
>>
>>8491769
Poder leer una obra en su idioma original y leer una traducción por ahorrar un poco de dinero es retardado.
>>
>>8492138
OP acá. Puedo decirte que realmente tenes razón, es una ventaja que no debería ser pérdida por el hecho de ahorrar unos pesos. Gracias anon.
>>
So what happens when you read For Whom the Bell Tolls, where Hem tried to imitate the way poor people spoke Spanish?

All that stuff about "I obscenity in the milk of your mother"
>>
>>8492612
Argentina, anon?
>>
>>8491893
I've read The Old Man in both English and Norwegian. It's way better in English.
>>
>>8492710
si mi negro.
>>
Leer Hemingway en español cuando lo podés leer en Inglés es como leer Borges en Inglés cuando lo podrías estar leyendo en español.
>>
>>8493585
Excepto porque Borges es genial y Hemingway mediocre
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.