[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /lit/... Analytic or Continental? What is the consensus on this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

So, /lit/...

Analytic or Continental?

What is the consensus on this?
>>
>>8489527
The consensus among actual professional philosophers if you ask them is that the split is a meme
>>
File: 1473421242871.jpg (111KB, 1338x1484px) Image search: [Google]
1473421242871.jpg
111KB, 1338x1484px
>>8489527
ftfy
>>
>>8489534
Link to the study? I've heard conflicting opinions on this, but nothing that expresses or hints to some official consensus. Some say the divide is arbitrary, others say that there are obvious differing characteristics.

This, very known ranking list of Anglophone schools disagrees with you: http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/analytic.asp
>>
>>8489538
How would you know that something is deep if you couldn't even plough through its surface obscurantism?
>>
>>8489556
Sounds like you are stuck in an analytical mindset. So I have no interest in discussing anything with you.
>>
>>8489557
You're hearing something that's not there.

It's a pity that you're willing to go as far as to withdraw from a potentially interesting discussion because of a hurried interpretation of my words.
>>
>>8489534
people arguing that the split is a meme are a meme.

I have a bachelors degree in philosophy from an australian university and can assure you that the divide is very real
>>
>>8489577
The fact that split is between analytical/continental, is a meme absolutely.

The actually splits come when you are talking about specific topics between specific philosophers, not some overarching narrative difference between two strands of philosophy.
>>
>>8489577
>bachelors degree in philosophy from an australian university
How's that working out for you? Did you have Graham Priest or Greg Restall as lecturers?
>>
>>8489546
Not him; everyone I've spoken to has a general opinion of "faggots play it up because they're the equivalent of thirteen year olds fighting the console wars, BUT there are definite differences between the ~two ways of thinking".
>>
>>8489577
You're speaking to a postgrad student, kid.
>>
>>8489577
>>8489607
Cliff Sargent here. You're both full of shit, go have sex and travel.
>>
>>8489610
This is Katie. I've come out of hiding to tell you to eat shit. Regards.
>>
File: tips.jpg (38KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
>>8489610
I
WILL
NOT
READ
YOUR
STUFF
FOR
FREE
OKAY?!!!!!
>>
>>8489610

This is Plato here. Philosophy was a mistake
>>
File: anals.png (555KB, 650x912px) Image search: [Google]
anals.png
555KB, 650x912px
continentals, when on earth will they learn??
>>
File: 1412752836723.png (436KB, 498x516px) Image search: [Google]
1412752836723.png
436KB, 498x516px
>>8489623
>>
>>8489634
Kek
>>
>>8489621
Hi Plato, Cliff here again. Have you had sex recently?
>>
Only idiots like Bertrand Russell divide philosophy arbitrarily into continental and analytical.
>>
File: 1377902490406.jpg (24KB, 303x566px) Image search: [Google]
1377902490406.jpg
24KB, 303x566px
The divide is provisional. You can use it as a rough guide, safe in the knowledge that there will be many instances in which it doesn't seem to hold.

Everyone in this thread is fighting over fucking nothing.
>>
>>8489654
>The divide is provisional.
This implies that it won't be provisional later on. Will both strands merge into one or dissolve altogether? You give no justification for such future state of affairs.
>>
>>8489697
It implies that as you become more knowledgeable about the various thinkers on either side of this "divide", you will be able to see affinities and unities that weren't clear from the outset. How much importance you place on instances that defy the rule is up to the individual.

So using the divide as a guide is fine, but expect it to fall apart as you come grasp more of the subject. When I say fall apart, I do not mean fall into disuse. It might very well be still of use to think through the lens of the divide again.

Treating like a war is stupid.
Not taking it seriously is stupid
Being absolutely faithful to it is stupid.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.