[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faulkner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

i've read his masterpieces, Absalom, Absalom, The Sound and the Fury, Light in August, and As I Lay Dying, as well as Sanctuary. how should i proceed with his lesser works? i figure i'd go chronological and start at the beginning. any thoughts? should i skip his first two? from what i've read, they appear to be not so well-composed.
>>
>>8486603
rose for emily and the hamlet i would say are essentials

rose for emily by the zombies is a great song also, dig it
>>
You read 5 novels and ask us how to read Faulkner.
>>
>>8486603
Go Down Moses, at least the hunting chapters

The Hamlet

Wild Palms
>>
Anyone in this thread read The Rievers?

It was gonna be my next Faulkner. I heard it's pretty different from his other normal stuff but I wanna see where he ended up.
>>
>>8486670
man, i haven't read A Rose for Emily since high school. i should reread the story as i have various anthologies with it.

>>8486685
i asked how i should proceed with his lesser works so i could get a general opinion of those books and what to avoid or leave for last, as i'll probably end up reading all of his novels.

why so bent out of shape?

>>8486687
yeah, i think The Hamlet and Wild Palms are next. maybe Pylon first.

anyways, thanks for the input, all of you. also, are there any hidden gems among his stories or latter novels? anyone prefer them to more frequently lauded works?
>>
>>8486603
Try The Town and The Mansion after The Hamlet.
>>
>>8486786
i think i'll read A Fable first since it's the initial part of the Snopes trilogy. then The town and The Mansion. thanks for the input, though.
>>
I can't stand faulkner's writing
>>
>>8486800
thanks for contributing, but how about explaining exactly what it is you dislike about Faulkner's writing? i've several friends who also are not fond of his writing and prefer more linear narratives.
>>
>>8486798
The Hamlet is the first book in the trilogy, not A Fable.
>>
>>8486838
His 'voice', narrative and characters make him a burden to me.
>>
>>8486886
>The Hamlet is the first book in the trilogy, not A Fable.
is it? oops, my mistake. yes, i think i'll go for a more chronological reading of Faulkner, beginning with Pylon and continuing on from there. maybe i'll read Mosquitos, Sartoris, and Soldier's Pay somewhere down the line. thanks again.
>>
>>8486603
you said Absalom twice
>>
>>8486958
>you said Absalom twice
now that made me chuckle.
>>
Read Soldiers' Pay, his first novel. It's not essential and not his best, but it's pretty great imho, and it gives you a nice idea of his development. Among short stories, I would recommend That Evening Sun, Dry September, Ad Astra, A Rose for Emily, and Red Leaves.

Beyond this, follow the other anons' advice and read The Wild Palms and Go Down, Moses.

P.S. If you liked sanctuary, you can read his sequel to it, a play titled Requiem for a Nun.

Godspeed.
>>
>>8487033
thanks for the input on Soldier's Pay. may give it a go after all.
>>
>>8486603
read hawthorne's house of seven gables
>>
>>8489509
will do. haven't read any Hawthorne since high school. thanks for the rec.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.