[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg (137KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg
137KB, 620x412px
What's our opinion on him?
>>
>>8486552
Absolutely based. Makes me feel like an erudite gentleman whenever I read him.

I personally subscribe to his philosophy of "cosmic indifferentism" because it doesn't require a great deal of thought and allows me to act like a smug reactionary without having to care about current political events.
>>
>>8486552
turgid prose, more likely to be unintentionally comedic than disturbing or scary. very repetitive and mostly reliant on the narrators insisting what they saw was SO HORRIFYING THEY WENT INSANE FOR REAL TRUST ME rather than actually creating dread in the reader. the wacky racial obsessions with monkey ancestry and fishman miscegenation are the only fun parts. i read a penguin collection and the footnotes were more interesting than the stories so i might read a biography of him at some point because he seems like an interesting weirdo.

modern "lovecraftian" stuff is mostly irredeemable, though. his racial obsessions get sanitized away so all that's left is spooky fishmen, dumb fantasy lore about ancient gods and the idea that the mundane mathematical term "non-euclidean" means "so WRONG it makes you go INSANE". you live on a fucking sphere you tards, that's a non-euclidean surface
>>
>>8486677
DUDE I'M LIKE LITERALLY GOING INSANE JUST BY READING THIS THREAD ABOUT HIM

MY ENSUING INSANITY IS TOTALLY INDESCRIBABLE, REALLY GUYS
>>
>>8486696
I AM LITERALLY POSTING THIS FROM MY PHONE AS I FALL FROM A TALL BUILDING HAVING THROWN MYSELF FROM A WINDOW TO ESCAPE MY UTTERLY INDESCRIBABLE INSANITY. HEED MY WARNING AND NEVER GAZE IN THE CHTOLOROMIFIC ABYSS!
>>
I like his writing.
Nothing special,but it's great when you want rest your mind a little bit after reading more serious or exhausting texts
>>
>cyclopean
>cyclopean
>indescribably cyclopean
>>
>>8486552
Not a great writer by any means, but a pretty cool guy with some good stories in between all the shovelware.
>>
>>8486677

Pretty much. Lovecraft makes the average anonymous creepypaster sound good.
>>
Sometimes /lit/ can be pretty based.
You guys are all right
>>
File: 1469626306776.jpg (114KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1469626306776.jpg
114KB, 640x628px
>>8486552
>our
>>
>>8486552
Ligotti > HPL
>>
>>8487059
you say that like Ligotti and HPL were contemporaries, and Ligotti wasn't greatly influenced by HPL
they're completely different, bud
>>
>>8486552
To be honest, I never got why his lores are so memed upon.
But I was never a fan of sci-fi so what do I know?
>>
>>8487257
It probably due ultimately to Derleth's fervent shilling and contribution long after HPL's death. I'm assuming that it all stuck because he continued to make references in new books well into the latter half of century.

There was also the RPG whose production, if I recall, Derleth was thoroughly involved in.
>>
>>8487244
>Ligotti was influenced by lovecraft
>They're completely different
>>
>>8487566
Ligotti isn't a chore to read which is difference enough
different isn't the same as not having influenced, bud
>>
>>8486552
Mediocre and repetitive, both in prose and theme.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.