[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you write something unsettling (rather than just scary)?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1466752116848.jpg (159KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1466752116848.jpg
159KB, 1536x1024px
How do you write something unsettling (rather than just scary)? When I'm watching a film like Mulholand Drive or A Clockwork Orange I sometimes get this unsettling/disturbing feeling like its uncomfortable to keep watching. How do I achieve this when I'm writing. It seems so much easier to do it with with films because you can show images, I get stuck writing this sort of stuff because so much in films does not translate into the written medium.

Pic related. It's a little unsettling but not in a 'loud', 'spooky' sort of way. I found it somewhere on this board I think, I don't remember what's happening in it.
>>
>>8484844
Was thinking about this too. Like the dinner scene from Mulholland Drive, I think its hard to make that scene work in written form.
>>
Package your book with a recording of infrasound. Bingo bango boingo, instant anxiety.
>>
>>8484844
youre unsettled by david lynch because youre a pseud who is trying too hard to understand the meaning, yet your mind can tell it's all posturing. that feeling comes from the disjunction.
>>
>>8484844
try reading Borges? I find most of his ficctions very disturbing
>>
>>8485949
and you're making shit up. Not even OP. If you're an Anon that goes into a thread and shitposts all that shit you just did, then you're the pseud.
>>
>>8484844
BolaƱo's 2666 did this very well. The last chapter od Literatura Nazi en America is also very unsettling.
>>
>>8484844
>How do I achieve this when I'm writing.
In order to do it, you have to learn how it's done. Hack a story. Find a story that already exists gives the kind of unsettling, disturbing feeling you want to be able to write-either a novel, novella, or short story. Short story would be best at first I think so you can more fully see the mechanics quicker. Then dissect the story any way you can think of, this part is limitless. Reading the story as if to memorize it will do wonders to you wanting to imitate its style.

You might be into Slipstream fiction. I'd suggest starting with the short story The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson, it has the slipstream aesthetic and the genre is Southern Gothic, so it might be what you're looking for. First read it to get the feeling it gave you before. Then pick the story apart, all the elements, break down each individual sentence and internalize what the words are making happen. This is a creative learning process through deconstructing the words, taking notes, mind mapping elements, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(science_fiction)

https://sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/jackson_lottery.pdf
>The Lottery short story
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.