[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the lit equivalent of mumblecore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: frances-ha-2.jpg (267KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
frances-ha-2.jpg
267KB, 1600x900px
So what's the lit equivalent of mumblecore?
>>
>>8484267
probably Lena Dunham's books since she fits into that genre (allegedly)
>>
>>8484268
Kinda regret asking.
>>
dunham would be...the second or third wave of mumblecore (as in she was imitating an already established style, not creating it)
>>
Is Tao Lin still relevant?
>>
Tao Lin is the lit Noah Baumbach
>>
>>8484485
no and he wasn't really at any point, juts to people who like to think they're on the cutting edge while falling for a boring rich boy's pantomime of writing
>>
>>8484496
tao lin is way more than his books. he's actually one of the more vital artists right now.
>>
>>8484494
Noah Baumbach is a much better writer than he is
>>
>>8484516
maybe that case could have been made 2007-2010, but he's washed up (and was always not very good) and literally only his remaining friends and three people on this board think otherwise (and I'm not so sure those two categories don't entirely overlap)
find someone else to hero worship
>>
File: comedy-poster-sundance-2.jpg (195KB, 847x1041px) Image search: [Google]
comedy-poster-sundance-2.jpg
195KB, 847x1041px
Is this mumblecore?
>>
>>8484538
he has one of the best web presences that i know of, and that's still the case
>>
mumblecore, like film noir, was a post-hoc name assigned I think as an insult?
>>8484548
yes, the best web presence is someone who has an interview from six months ago show up followed by only article about his criminal activities as reported on in late 2014 (not going to argue with any defense you have of that bc it's the same convo every time)

you've bought into a cult he's tried and mostly failed to build around himself, how old are you? there are better people to pay attention to
>>
>>8484555
the post-hoc-ness, film noir wasn't meant to insult

I think it has more to do with time period than style, I wouldn't consider any films made in the last few years or in the future as mumblecore. The Comedy is maybe at the tail end. Frances Ha and other Baumbauchs since are too sleek to fit imo.
>>
>>8484555
what do you think of his films
>>
>>8484555
>a post-hoc name
As opposed to pre-hoc names? Like what?
>>
>>8484593
like it was assigned by critics who weren't involved in the actual film making, they didn't go into going "we're making a mumblecore movie" like one would go into a movie making a horror movie or a rom com, this is basic movie history
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.