[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discipline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1471691271768.jpg (30KB, 480x363px) Image search: [Google]
1471691271768.jpg
30KB, 480x363px
I know this post will rub some people the wrong way but I have a request/challenge for biographyfags (and anyone else who can back up their shit). This being /lit/ I apologize for my English.

So my premise is, in the context of intellectual pursuits, discipline seems to be a great way to be mediocre shit at something that's beyond one's sincere intellectual wants, wants as defined by that ego syntonic behavior which is a reward in itself.

In other words I believe that great minds simply love what they do and always have. They worked hard and suffered hunger and thirst no doubt -- but this was always a consequence, not a cause of their overwhelming and sincere want for highest knowledge, beauty, insight and so on. Do you really think such great men fought these "inner demons" to get to where they were/are as the imperative of discipline would have us believe?

"Stop jacking off! Don't you want to create great works of art/literature/philosophy? Eight hours of X every day! Mind over matter! Willpower! Habits! "

Obviously I think it's the other way around but please feel free to prove me wrong, I would love especially to hear biographyfags' input on this: How many of the great thinkers, visionaries, artists, writers struggled explicitly with the *intellectual wants/cravings* for what they ended up achieving later on?

I don't doubt discipline makes you a productive contributor or that it's a great way of forming new habits but when your ideal self-image is that of an accomplished artist, philosophy wizard, STEM visionary or just being really good at writing it seems like forced studiousness will not increase anyone's chances. (And perhaps, then, it's time to lay this fantasy to rest and start philosophizing about one's lack of these wants rather than to continue this self-chastisement.)

Maybe everything I just said is self-evident and I simply misinterpreted the "language game" of discipline? Maybe I'm "bullshitting" and "making excuses"? Please share your thoughts on this /lit/.
>>
I just realized squidward lives in his own head

damn...
>>
>>8483907
Is spongebob /lit/?
>>
>>8483892
When I am manic I genuinely love intellectual/artistic pursuits. Like given any free time that is what I am going to be doing, reading, writing, painting, etc all day every day for months on end. When these periods end I literally stop caring in the least about the entire artistic world except for listening to music.

The way it is for me is that when I'm like that everything seems beautiful and meaningful, and art/religion/philosophy the most out of everything to points of almost ecstatic intensity. When I'm not like that I just care about having money and girls. It is like two entirely different people, and they can't relate to each other. What you describe though is how that side of me is, though I lack the talent/intelligence of great artists/thinkers, the absolute love for it is spot on. There is no question of 'discipline', it is just a rush of desire and energy that never runs out. I imagine that a stable intelligent person with that disposition would match your 'great artist' type
>>
>>8483987
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel you. Sounds like it just comes down to baseline neurochemicals and so on. Again.
>>
I want to know too. Bumping this thread as much as I can. Sadly I don't have any information like this to share.
>>
>>8483892
Bump so I can respond in full later. I think part of what true self control means is knowing yourself, people really don't change personalities almost at all in their life and trying to change will mainly lead to the self-chastisement you're talking about. Self control is about coming to terms with who you are, being okay with that, connecting that to what you want out of life and finding a way to make it work.

Plus, why stop jacking off? It's one of the most efficient forms of stress relief.
>>
>>8483892
Just become what you are
>>
>>8483987
I swear to god I hope you're not that fucking faggot from that amphetamines thread who kept going on about how mania was the key to intellectual prowess and all of that shit. It's probably not, but he used the word "manic" so many times that the word will forever be associated with him in my mind.
>>
>>8483892
>Please share your thoughts on this /lit/.

I think you're an insufferable pseudointellectual shit and should stop trying to use this board as a scratching post for your inflated ego.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 304x475px
>>8483892
Why don't you read this and then come back
>>
>>8483892
i think a lot of people have unhealthy habits which can prevent them from doing things they like, even great genuinely interested and passionate people.
>>
Very few great authors (I can only speak of authors) had problems with prolificity, writing was genuine urge or rather uncontrollable compulsion for them. Goethe, for instance, wrote a huge corpus which includes more than just the Faust, Werther, Wilhelm Meister and Elective Affinities that are most well known. Dostoyevsky wrote what's been called a "supherhuman" amount of great novels in a short time, as well as many short stories, Gogol was constantly writing short stories and sketches, Kafka, too, was a prolific short story writer and stayed up late all night even when he had work to write stories; The Judgment he says he wrote in one sitting over like 8 hours overnight, and he just sat back and felt completely empty after finishing it. Hemingway wrote a great deal of short stories and also novels, and John Updike is so amazingly prolific for novels with such consistently amazing prose (even if the characters are trite and plots soap-opera like). Faulkner wrote an insane amount of great novels in a very short timeframe (The Sound and the Fury, As I Lay Dying, Light in August and Absalom, Absalom! were all written and published within 7 years).

True artists are compelled to create art, IMO, they don't even need to discipline themselves after a while, they just feel forced to do it.
>>
>>8484764
Great post. Thanks senpai
>>
>>8483907
Whoa.
>>
Don DeLillo talked about "having to push the reluctant body in the room" when he started writing. Gass also got a late start.

As for philosophy, there aren't going to be anymore *great* philosophers. That melon's been scooped out.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.