[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pottery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: eazy.jpg (12KB, 300x215px)
eazy.jpg
12KB, 300x215px
I want to write a poetry book, with the poems written in the style of rap songs. Not with the same topics or lingo or anything, just written like a rap song, free from poetic form and all over the place in style. For example, instead of looking like your average poem, a poem in this book would look like this:

[Aesop Rock's 2nd verse in "None Shall Pass"]

Now, if you never had a day a snow cone couldn't fix
You wouldn't relate to the rogue vocoder blitz
How he spoke through a NoDoz motor on the fritz
‘Cause he wouldn't play rollover fetch like a bitch
And express no regrets
Though he isn't worth a homeowner's piss
To the jokers who pose by the glitz
Fine, sign of the swine in the swarm
When a king is a whore who comply and conform
Miles outside of the eye of the storm
With a siphon to lure out a prize and award
While avoiding the vile and bizarre that is violence and war
True blue triumph is more
Like, "Wait, let him snake up out of the centerfold
Let it break the walls of Jericho, ready go."
Sat where the old, cardboard city folk
Swap tales with heads, like every other penny throw

Anybody care to either give their opinion or break my balls about this? It seems like it carries a ton of potential, but at the same time it also sounds kind of retarded.
>>
>>8477695
yeah. aesop rock is a shit rapper for fucknerds and 13 year olds.

get better taste in rap before you try to write poems in the style of rap.
>>
>>8477695
MF DOOM or Earl Sweatshirt. Look at them.
>>
>>8477705
>>8477708
Maybe I should have added a list of rappers I like
>The GZA
>MF DOOM
>Aesop Rock
>Big L
>Jedi Mind Tricks
>RA the Rugged Man
>Geto Boys
>Ka
>Billy Woods
>The RZA
>>
>>8477721
first guy here.

oh god damn christ bruh youre past the point of saving. just write regular poetry if those are your favorite rappers.

not tryna just shitpost, but most of those rappers are already writing in a style that focuses more on wordplay than feeling. sure, they have pretty competent conceptions of meter and rhyme and many other poetic devices, but their bars often come off without feeling or tryhard as fuck.

for example, take a couple measures off Earl Sweatshirt's verse on Mac Miller's "New Faces v2"

"Can't call it harsh livin' when the margin
Between you and all these fuck niggas
Is about as large as it gets
And you workin', givin' arm and a leg
Say he workin' but he just talkin' cause he ain't workin'
Like a long distance bitch
Who you know that's out that's harder than this?
Chargin' niggas like a Tomlison win, nigga"

now, that is not as fancy as that Aesop Rock verse you posted, but is has some REAL FUCKING FEELING behind it.

I believe that Earl Sweatshirts toes the line between feeling in rap and fancy lyricism better than any other rapper out there. listen to his whole discography and all his features.
>>
>>8477762
additionally, don't even start this project,

either become a rapper or write poetry.
>>
Anyone here like Doseone?
>>
>>8477762
I don't wanna paste it here cause that would be gigantic but RA the Rugged Man's verse in Uncommon Valor (with Jedi Mind Tricks) shows a better mix of sentiment and style the previously posted Aesop Rock verse

http://genius.com/Jedi-mind-tricks-uncommon-valor-a-vietnam-story-lyrics
>>
>>8477762
>I believe that Earl Sweatshirts toes the line between feeling in rap and fancy lyricism better than any other rapper out there.

Why is it you think that is? I'm not questioning it, just legitimately curious.
>>
Sorry OP but once you write down rap lyrics just for them to be read the point has been lost. Aesop Rock's writing is terrible but I like the sounds he makes when rapping. It's a performance art heavily involving rhyme, but it's not poetry.
>>
>>8478118
i'll try to articulate my feelings on this as well as I can, but i've never wrote them down before, so please excuse any lack of clarity.

First off, Earl Sweatshirt comes off as a very smart man. Simply from listening to his whole discography (Earl, Doris, Solace, I Don't Like Shit I Don't Go Outside), it becomes apparent that Earl has the lyrical ability to write like Aesop Rock, MF DOOM, or other rappers that I personally feel fall on the sesquipedalian side of the rap game.

However, he consistently refuses to do this. Verses like this one on "Hive"

Promise Heron I'll put my fist up, after I get my dick sucked
Quick buck, maybe a gold chain
With that fucking flow that s-s-so belittles men
They tentatively tend to turn and go when I am finished
Stone cold, hardly fucking with these niggas, nigga listen
The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace
Then forget it, in turn, these critics and interns
Admitting the shit spitted, just burn like six furnaces
Writ, it affixed, learning them digits
And simultaneously, dispelling one-trick-pony myths, isn't he?
One adolescent, fucking six-nigga energy
And crawling down 'Fax like a rich nigga centipede
Crack ceramic and slap a hand out of cash account
Stamp and shouting, thrashing
These niggas done let the Kraken out
Crack-a-lacking, like snap, crackle, popping your ammo off
Hide your face, and throw your flannels off, Sweatshirt, nigga"

really capture that "fuck you, I'm top shit" feeling that is so prevalent in rap, while still flowing off the tongue in a way that makes you want to memorize it because it feels so goddamn good to say.

cont.(1 sec lemme write some more)
>>
>>8478168
Still focusing on the album Doris, here's a verse off of "Chum", one Earl's most personal songs

It's probably been twelve years since my father left, left me fatherless
And I just used to say I hate him in dishonest jest
When honestly I miss this nigga, like when I was six
And every time I got the chance to say it I would swallow it
Sixteen, I'm hollow, intolerant, skip shots
I storm that whole bottle, I'll show you a role model
I'm drunk, pissy, pissing on somebody front lawn
Trying to figure out how and when the fuck I missed moderate
Momma often was offering peace offerings
Think, wheeze cough, scoffing and he's off again
Searching for a big brother, Tyler was that
And plus he liked how I rap, the blunted mice in the trap
Too black for the white kids, and too white for the blacks
From honor roll to cracking locks up off them bicycle racks
I'm indecisive, I'm scatterbrained, and I'm frightened, it's evident
And them eyes where he hiding all them icicles at

Here, he talks about an extremely personal subject (his relationship with his parents) without sounding like a crying whiny baby or a fucking tryhard. To me, it is obvious that he is putting effort into not falling into simple rhyme and rhythm tricks that can oversaturate verses.

cont. (2/?)
>>
>>8477762
>>8478168
Not that other anon, but I feel you.
Earl is obviously well-read, and he constantly chastises his group(OF) for being intellectually regressive, immature, or uninterested in personal growth. He's also always grilling females for not being passionate about their own lives and pursuits. He's very well spoken and can expound on his interests and ideas at the drop of a hat with depth and clarity.
I think he toes the line between rap as a performance and rap as an art form because performance pays while artistic merit doesn't. He makes a compromise that puts money in the bank while allowing for a certain degree of artistry.
Same goes for a lot of artists. They trade merit for money. Not that that's a bad thing, money is real and immediate and powerful.
>>
>>8478179
OK, just gonna finish with this one. I don't wanna sound like a fukkin windbag,

On the album "I Don't Like Shit I Don't Go Outside," Earl distances himself further from the tryhards by going with a more personal style. Here's a bit from the song Grief

[Hook]
Good grief, I been reaping what I sowed
Nigga, I ain't been outside in a minute
I been living what I wrote
And all I see is snakes in the eyes of these niggas
Momma taught me how to read 'em when I look
Miss me at the precinct getting booked
Fishy niggas stick to eating off of hooks
Say you eating, but we see you getting cooked, nigga
[Verse 1]
I don't act hard, I'm a hard act to follow, nigga
Like it or not, when it drop, bet he gotta listen
Chasing dragons, tryna make it happen, on a mission
Step into the shadows, we could talk addiction
When it's harmful where you going and the part of you that know it
Don't give a fuck, pardon me for going into details
3-7-6 was a brothel
We had females come in every hour on the dot
And the shit sound like a gavel when it knock
Focused on my chatter, ain't as frantic as my thoughts
Lately I've been panicking a lot
Feeling like I'm stranded in a mob, scrambling for Xanax out the canister to pop
Never getting out of hand
Steady handling my job, time damaging my ties
Who turn to get up? Get dude turned to dinner quick
You circus niggas, you turning into tricks
I was making waves, you was surfing in 'em
Dealing with the stomach pains just from birthing niggas' shit
Cut the grass off the surface
Pray the lawnmower blade catch the back of a serpent, niggas' shit
Bitch

I don't really know what more to say about this. Earl is an extremely talented and hard working rapper, and he could easily write an aesop rock verse. Instead, like a good poet, he stops himself from going for the easy rhymes, the easy word choices, the easy references. NPR has a really good interview with him following the release of IDLSIDGO. You can watch it on youtube or read a transcript of it im pretty sure.
>>
>>8478200
checked.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think he went for a much more heavily artistic, as opposed to monetary, approach with IDLSIDGO. The length, the production, the lyrics: they're all what Earl felt, not what he thought would make him guap.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.