[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best quote from book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: JRRtolkien.jpg (81KB, 533x755px) Image search: [Google]
JRRtolkien.jpg
81KB, 533x755px
What is the best and / favourite quote from any piece of novel / fictional media?

e.g: “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

“People make mistakes in life through believing too much, but they have a damned dull time if they believe too little.”
>>
File: Pato.jpg (25KB, 216x296px) Image search: [Google]
Pato.jpg
25KB, 216x296px
"Benis"
>>
There was a really good one from Steppenwolf that I forgot. I was just reading the waves though, and I like this one:

"The ripple of my life was unavailing. I was unable to pass by. There was an obstacle. "I cannot surmount this unintelligible obstacle" I said, and the others passed on. But we are doomed, all of us, by the apple trees, by the immitigable tree which we cannot pass".

You should be careful not to read *just* for quotes though, anon.
>>
>"A good cook changes his knife once a year — because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month — because he hacks. I’ve had this knife of mine for nineteen years and I’ve cut up thousands of oxen with it, and yet the blade is as good as though it had just come from the grindstone. There are spaces between the joints, and the blade of the knife has really no thickness. If you insert what has no thickness into such spaces, then there’s plenty of room — more than enough for the blade to play about it. That’s why after nineteen years the blade of my knife is still as good as when it first came from the grindstone.
>“However, whenever I come to a complicated place, I size up the difficulties, tell myself to watch out and be careful, keep my eyes on what I’m doing, work very slowly, and move the knife with the greatest subtlety, until — flop! the whole thing comes apart like a clod of earth crumbling to the ground. I stand there holding the knife and look all around me, completely satisfied and reluctant to move on, and then I wipe off the knife and put it away.”
>“Excellent!” said Lord Wen-hui. “I have heard the words of cook Ting and learned how to care for life!”
Always makes me smile.
>>
>>8477629 (OP)
>it's a "manchild academic thinks he can talk with any kind of authority about grown-up topics" episode
>>
I have a big folder full of my favorite quotes, but I think this from Fitzgerald's translation of The Iliad is my favorite:

Very like leaves
upon this earth are the generations of men—
old leaves, cast on the ground by wind, young leaves
the greening forest bears when spring comes in.
>>
>>8478833
I read an article about eastern philosophy and modern neuroscience this morning. A similar tale was told and endes the same way. Yes the ox was mentioned too.
>>
A favourable inference was drawn from his obstinacy which was interpreted by the augurs as a sure passage that the boundaries of Roman power would never recede. During many ages, the prediction, as it is usual contributed to its own accompliment. But though terminus had resisted the majesty of Jupiter, he submitted to the authority of emperor Hadrian.
>>
What need is there to weep over parts of live, the whole of it calls for tears
>>
>>8477629
>>
>>8479291
retarded
>>
File: The Nietzsch.jpg (291KB, 2332x1004px) Image search: [Google]
The Nietzsch.jpg
291KB, 2332x1004px
>>8479291
Drivel desu
>>
>>8479330
>What is the best and / favourite quote from any piece of novel / fictional media?
>fictional

>inb4 muh not real because cogito ergo sum stultus and so on

>>8479072
Link?
>>
>>8477629
>"I pause to record that I feel in extraordinary form. Delirium, perhaps."

>“From this, one can make a deduction which is quite certainly the ultimate truth of jigsaw puzzles: despite appearances, puzzling is not a solitary game: every move the puzzler makes, the puzzlemaker has made before; every piece the puzzler picks up, and picks up again, and studies and strokes, every combination he tries, and tries a second time, every blunder and every insight, each hope and each discouragement have all been designed, calculated, and decided by the other.”
>>
We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom

The most perfect thing I'm yet to read
>>
>>8479607
Congratulations, you are the biggest pseud on /lit/
>>
>>8479522
Source of second, please.
>>
>>8479522
>>8480681
Is it a The Glass Bead Game?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.