[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are your favorite poets? What collections should I be reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Who are your favorite poets? What collections should I be reading?
>>
>>8477497
Ezra Pound's Cantos
>>
>>8477497
Huidobro's Altazor is THE god-tier spanish poetry.
>>
I love me some Wordsworth. Therefore try the Lyrical Ballads.
>>
Coleridge, Hopkins, and Swinburne have been really ringin my cherries lately
>>
File: sandra_simonds.jpg (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sandra_simonds.jpg
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>8477497

I'll give you some contemporary ones.

Hailey Leithauser
Jericho Brown
Sandra Simonds
Michael Robbins
Ocean Voung

And don't forget Larry Levis. He's dead now. Underground and underappreciated.

I like the beat poets as well.

Lists that recommend Pound and Wordsworth are fucking pointless. Of course you should read Wordsworth. Of course your shouldn't read Pound. But you knew this. You came here for a name you've never heard. You came for Larry Levis. And if you like poetry, you won't regret it. If you're a baby pussy ass, you'll by a copy of the Cantos to impress your mom when she dusts your bookshelf.

Also, Marilyn Hacker. She was married to Samuel Delany. How weird is that?
>>
File: anne bancroft.jpg (121KB, 882x1000px)
anne bancroft.jpg
121KB, 882x1000px
>>8477497
whitman
eliot
heaney
yeats

recs?
>>
>>8477972
Was excited to check out some fresh poets but then read
>you shouldn't read Pound
and realized I shouldn't trust tastes so pedestrian
>>
>>8477508
Nope. That there is Luis de Góngora that reigns champ. Maybe next time, nigga.
>>
>>8477972
Larry Levis! Fuck yeah! "My Story in a Late Style of Fire" is one of the most knock-you-on-your-ass poems of the past half century.

Also, you should read

Dean Young
Anne Carson
Campbell McGrath
David Wojahn
Ben Lerner
Aracelis Girmay
>>
Henri Cole - Middle Earth
Anne Carson - NOX
Geoffrey Hill - Mercian Hymns
Seamus Heaney - Station Island
Daryl Hine - Recollected Poems
Darryl Hine -
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 600x462px
After a lifetime of only occasionally being gripped by the aesthetic power of poetry, I was never able to answer the question "who is your favourite poet?"
This semester I finally exerted myself seriously to discover poets that were consistent in displaying poetic prowess. So now, when I see you ask this question I am able to give you a decent answer (keep in mind though that these are all poets that wrote in English and from the last hundred years or so):

Aesthetic beauty:
William Carlos Williams
Frank O'Hara

Poetic narrative:
Robert frost (ignore his meme status)
TS Eliot

Just good:
Yeats
Coleridge

Just trust me on these if you trust no one else in this thread.
>>
>>8478085

going to second anything Seamus Heaney, dude is an absolute beast. His bog poems have been rattling around in my head since I read them last year. I'd also add Kazim Ali, he has some absolute bangers.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.